Sick Honey Gourami

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Larafish

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a sick gourami, although is swimming and eating. Some pics are attached. In a 59l tank with six neons, 3platys and some shrimp.

All tank stats are coming up ok on the test. I think this is dropsy what do you think? Although has been bloated like this for about a month

Attachments

• IMG_20200209_163222.jpg
    IMG_20200209_163222.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20200209_163218.jpg
    IMG_20200209_163218.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 82
That is definitely dropsy - it's scales are sticking out like a pine cone.

Dropsy is not a disease itself but a symptom of an underlying disease. This disease could be bacterial, viral or protozoan, the problem is trying to work out which. Viral infections are untreatable; bacterial infections are treatable but as you are in England you won't be able to get antibiotics without vet's prescription. You could try treating with eSHa 2000 but it is not a very powerful medication.

Once a fish reached this stage it is often untreatable regardless of the underlying condition as once the scales stick out it is sign of kidney failure. But you could try epsom salt baths to try to draw fluid out of the tissues.
You need pure epsom salts with no perfume or colouring. Dissolve 1 x 5 ml spoonful per 4 litres of water and place the fish in that for a few minutes. Remove the fish immediately if it becomes distressed.

Had this years ago n I never found out why, but I ask is the tank newish ? Never had this with an aged tank so we no summat is wrong. Stats are ok you say so think of other factors. Are other fish ok ? Any other losses ? No info to go on but I think the kindest thing would be to put it to sleep. Harsh but think of the fish with all internal damage that is clinging on. I have only 1 of these in hard water--- yes I no now, but it absolutely perfect n was beginning to think bull it proof. Do the right thing by it n don't torment it anymore with quess work cures.

Guppy10 reminds me that I should have asked about your water. I notice that you have soft water fish (neons, honey gourami) and hard water fish (platies). While being in the 'wrong' type of water won't cause an infection directly, it can weaken a fish's immune system.

Look on your water company's website and search for hardness. You need a number and the unit of measurement.

I didn't even think of the hard soft thing. I've had the tank about a year. And yes, I've lost two other gouramis in that time. Ok I think I will euthanize. Thank you so much for your help

Or get a test kit. The tetra strips have proved to be as accurate as the api liquid tests. My tank is basically tap water, all good but nitrate n hard so don't no what to do, but now I no these things I will chose more wisely. Good luck.

Bought some floating plants in an effort to get nitrate down but even if it doesn't it's ok. Water change 2x weekly n that's as much as I have time for. Hope it helps.

I'm glad that you have decided to end the misery it must be in.
Consider yourself a responsible pet owner. It would be mostly impossible to cure it n then it's had so much trauma that it will linger on for a while so put it to sleep.
Happens to everyone so don't feel bad.

Most reactions

Back