Sick Guppies!

MelissaJackson11

Reaction score
I have a 10g aquarium with 2 adult guppies, 10 feeder guppies, and 4 fry. The other day I noticed one of my adults had a white fleshy ring around its eyes, white spots, and now her skin around her face looks like it's deteriorating and her mouth is offset. I put her in a separate breeding tank. This morning I checked my other fish, everything looked good. I checked 7 hours later and now my other adult has the thick white ring around its eye. It's now spreading to all of my babies. Can someone please tell me what my fish have and how to treat it?

I've had it for 3 months and I change the water every month or when I see it needs cleaning . 2 weeks after I change the water I get it tested the the local pet store and I just changed it the other day so I'm not very sure about the stats right now.

20130327_06114k1.jpg

My First Fish

First, do a huge water change and replace with temperature matched dechlorinated water. Then do the same again tomorrow.

If you didn't cycle your filter before introducing fish, you are doing a fish-in cycle. The water needs to be changed much more often. And it looks like you don't have a substrate? Gravel or sand?

This looks like some kind of bacterial infection, but I can't tell. Water changes will help, but I don't know about adding medications.

How do you do maintenance to your filter?

I have gravel. And I change the filter when I do water changes. I just changed my water two days ago. I usually boil my water to get rid of any chemicals how often do you suggest changing it?

And the first time I cycled I waited two weeks before I put any fish in

If you change the filter every time you do water changes, you're removing all the beneficial bacteria that removes the ammonia the fish produce, so at this point your fish are swimming around in their own waste. 

If you have a HOB (hang on back) filter you probably have floss cartridges, correct? The manufacturer tells you to change these just so they can soak you for the money to keep buying the bags. The way to do it is to just swish the bag in the old tank water that you remove when you do water changes, then just put it back in the filter housing. These bags will last for months and then will start to deteriorate. When that happens, just put the old bag into a new bag and put it back. This way you'll keep the beneficial bacteria. Better yet, buy a sponge to fit in the space and you'll never have to replace it, just rinse it out in old tank water.

You don't need to boil the water, just get a good dechlorinator such as Seachem Prime, which neutralizes harmful substances from the tap water.

Just waiting a couple of weeks before putting fish in is not cycling. 

At this point you'll be doing a "fish-in" cycle, which will require daily water changes. Please read here about fish-in cycling, and other resources for your tank.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Thank you. Now some of my fry have white spots all over them so its definetly spreading
I just changed the water. Hope it works!

Does it look like someone sprinkled white sand all over them? If so then that's icy, which should be treated with medication. 

Most reactions

Back