Sick fish! HELP!

Susiestar

Reaction score
i got some plants a few weeks ago and last week I noticed they were all dying and decaying and the tank water was turning yellow, so I cleaned out all the plant waste I could and changed 20% of the water that night, the next day I changed around 40-50% (and at this point my betta had fin rot, but my shrimp and cories seemed fine), I had to leave for the weekend, but when I came back I changed about 10% Monday and 10% the next day. My fish doesn't have black/white edges on his fins anymore, but he has weird thick orangish poop, and has been laying on the bottom of the tank a LOT (though he stills comes up to see me).

He has a heater and two filters (HOB and internal with just sponge), he lives in a 20 gallon high, but it is split in half so he has 10 gallons (the water can flow through the divider though).

He also has a small white speck on his face

Attachments

• IMG_9381.JPG
    IMG_9381.JPG
    831.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_9384.JPG
    IMG_9384.JPG
    1,007.7 KB · Views: 118
Hiya Susie, it's good you removed the dying plants and are doing water changes. I would measure my water parameters to see where my water quality is at. API test kit, or the local fish store.
Beautiful betta, btw.

Hiya Susie, it's good you removed the dying plants and are doing water changes. I would measure my water parameters to see where my water quality is at. API test kit, or the local fish store.
Beautiful betta, btw.

I will test the water when I get back home. Even with the cleaner water he has been laying on the bottom more and more and I am getting very worried...especially about the orange thing under him.

Great! Once you know your water parameters, you can read up on water changes/nitrogen cycle. (Also available in this forum.) The size tank may affect the cycling process in that for some people, anything less than a 10 gallon tank is more difficult to cycle (stabilise).
It's hard to say what the orange thing is...
If you notice your betta is spending a lot of time on the bottom, I would read up on swim bladder disease. Bettas tend to get it frequently and some have been treated successfully.
Let us know what you've found out and good luck!

Great! Once you know your water parameters, you can read up on water changes/nitrogen cycle. (Also available in this forum.) The size tank may affect the cycling process in that for some people, anything less than a 10 gallon tank is more difficult to cycle (stabilise).
It's hard to say what the orange thing is...
If you notice your betta is spending a lot of time on the bottom, I would read up on swim bladder disease. Bettas tend to get it frequently and some have been treated successfully.
Let us know what you've found out and good luck!

When I got home today he had passed away :((((

Most reactions

Back