Sick Angelfish has disappeared.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sexy Rexy

Reaction score
Ok, so a few days ago we added two medium sized Angelfish to our 75 gallon aquarium. Both seemed fine for a few days until last night we noticed one of them struggling to stay upright and active which told us it was probably sick. We also notice a couple of our mollies nipping at it. This morning I checked to see how it was doing and can not for the life of me find it anywhere. Although they aren’t known to be jumpers, I checked all around the outside of the tank and couldn’t find it. I’ll be doing my weekly water change later today and remove the two decorations to see if it might by chance have ended up dying in one of them. This is actually the second time one of our Angels has passed and disappeared . Is it possible that when they die that the other fish eat them? It is a 75 gallon tank with mollies, assorted tetras and 2 smaller angels.

It's possible, but I'm willing to bet you find some remnants of carcass during the WC...

Thanks slaphappy7...Mystery solved when I did the partial water change. It buried itself in one of the fake plants and made it it’s final resting place. Not sure why I have so much trouble with Angel Fish. We bought 5 of them a couple of months ago and 3 of them died within a few days. The remaining 2 are happy and thriving. Now we’ve lost 1 of the 2 we purchased a couple of days ago. The other is very active and eating well.

May be getting bad stock from your LFS?
Angels can be territorial and aggressive too, once established, and the stress it causes with newbies can affect their health

Bad stock was my first thought as well slaphappy. Strange that of the two separate Angel purchases we’ve made, some of them have died right away and the others have thrived.

I've kept angels for a few years. To be honest this has happened to me maybe once or twice. Where I've had 2 different types mixed and out of the blue they've became unwell and sadly died totally unexplained. I've just put it down to poor stock my opinion is these fish that are for sale in a lot of LFS are farmed on a large scale so it takes it toll on the fish because hundreds of them are bred and raised before being distributed.

I've had alot of success finding breeders as I think they get alot better treatment and attention if there bred on a smaller scale. This is just my opinion.

Best of luck and I hope you have no more deaths.

Also what are your water parameters?

I've kept angels for a few years. To be honest this has happened to me maybe once or twice. Where I've had 2 different types mixed and out of the blue they've became unwell and sadly died totally unexplained. I've just put it down to poor stock my opinion is these fish that are for sale in a lot of LFS are farmed on a large scale so it takes it toll on the fish because hundreds of them are bred and raised before being distributed.

I've had alot of success finding breeders as I think they get alot better treatment and attention if there bred on a smaller scale. This is just my opinion.

Best of luck and I hope you have no more deaths.

Also what are your water parameters?
Hi magical, sorry it took me so long to get back on this. I received my AMI test kit yesterday and just did my first water analysis.
Here are my results.
PH-7.6
Ammonia-0 ppm
Nitrate-0 ppm
Nitrite-0 ppm
This particular test kit will not check water hardness.
As a side note, I just lost yet another Angelfish. It was one of my original Angelfish acquisitions. It appeared fine one day and the next day it was dead. I’m at a loss as to why I’m having such a hard time with them.

How long has the tank been running? I would've thought there would be some nitrates showing on the results. Anyway I would guess that there has been some sort of cross contamination between batches of the fish. I've been in a similar situation a few years ago and that was the only thing I could think it may have been. This is why sometimes this handy having a quarantine tank but it's not always possible.

Sorry to hear about it. The next time I would get all the fish together and from a good source. Buy them small and bring them on yourself. Get a larger group than you want in the tank and you keep the best ones. Donate the ones that are either not good examples or just runts in generals to your LFS or gumtree/Craigslist, this is how I got the best group of 8 that I could when I was Keeping groups of them.

Most reactions

Back