Siberian Husky's, Any Pic's?

fishboy619

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hey everyone,
my mum let me get get a dog for the family as the one we have already is lonely as his friend pasted away.
im not rushing into anything, have thought long and hard about this and have decided to get a siberian husky.they are some for sale at work, so its perfect timing.
just wondering if any people can post pics of theres and give me any helpful hints and tips on looking after them,
i know the basics on looking after and training dogs, and the basics for huskys,
im prepeared to look after one, take it for walks, feed it etc etc.
the ones for sale are black and white mostly.
if its a male i will can it appollo, and a female will be named honey.
not bothered the sex as either will be neutered.
cheers for the help in advance, really looking forward to getting one.

p.s PIC'S PIC'S PIC'S!!!!!

lucky you!
all the husky's i've known have been very headstrong mad doggies, sweet though! and are likely to dislocate your shoulder when you take it out for walks, or rather he takes you out for a pull!

I hope you know what you're letting yourself in for ! :crazy: My sis had 2. They really are crazy (but lovely crazy) animals. And need an extreme amount of exercise. Despite having a large garden and taking it for walks, it just wasn’t' enough. We eventually rehomed it to someone on a farm - it was sad, but best for him. I'll see if I can dig up some pics of him :good:

Yeah they need loads of exercise and I mean LOADS!! What sort of dog have you got at the minute ??? As long as the dog you got now will be happy going very long walks everyday then you shouldnt have any problems otherwise you will have to bring both out seperate times which if what Im doing at the minute with my 2 dogs, 4 walks a day :/.

Heres a bit about them of a website I use -

The Siberian Husky has a sweet nature and is a breed that is suited for the whole family, but does not make a good guard dog. Gentle in character with a determined look they are very people oriented dogs. Males have a tendency to roam and need to be kept in a fenced in area. If they get out it may be impossible to catch them on foot. A member of the Spitz family, the Siberian Husky is strong and has the ability to haul heavy loads over long distances and rough terrain. Siberian Huskys will happily pull a young child in a wagon or sled.

http://www.puppydogweb.com/gallery/siberianhuskies/e.htm

lovely dogs but they take a fair bit of work. Ian's sis has two and is starting breeding them soon.

you need to husky proof your house first, take a look at this website of husky destruction

Yep - everyone's giving great advice. Huskies are probably one of THE hardest breeds to keep stimulated and safe. They're said to be headstrong and difficult to train for novices, some people (not my personal opinion) say they should never be let offlead, so recall must be an issue. Some make fantastic pets with a lot of hard work and effort, but it's a 24 hour job and an understimulated husky is a nightmare.

If I were you, I would get in touch with a really good local trainer who uses positive training methods and ask their experience with them too, as you'll be wanting them involved probably. If you're dead set on one, I would recommend taking him/her to puppy classes initially then moving on to obedience classes long term (clicker work is good for headstrong dogs). :good:

cheers for the info guys, my dog i have now is a collie, i usally walk to and from school and the dog gets walked then, (me and mum walk to school with dog, she walks back, she picks me up with dog, and we both walk back)also get walked in middle of day by other family member, and really long walks/play time with me at weekend
of what ive read, reading 6 books i bought, and lots of internet sites, apart from their size and power, they are pretty easy to keep given the right training and trust.
bloody hell, they do a lot of damage, will training stop this?they is often someone at home though out the day.
i will of course be taking to training classes and obedience classes, as ive done with my other dogs in past.
is it really hard to keep these dogs? ofcourse they need a lot of work, and training, but will they eventually settle down and become loyal,trustworthy pets, cant i ever take its lead off at walk times. i do with my other dogs. what i usally do, when i get a puppy, is get it introduces to other people and dogs, and make sure it knows whos boss...me.
what about japanese akitas?
they look alot like siberian huskys, are these any different?
its the color and marking i like on the dogs, aswell as its personality.ive heard these can become very loyal,hard working and clever dogs, i was hopeing to train it well enough to maybe show, after all such a good dog deserves to be shown,
any way, the pups for sale arent ready for a month or so yet, so i have time to think,
just out of curorsity, what dogs would you keep with a collie, i dont want anything too small like terriers, king charles or poodles.
the other ones i was thinking about were Dalmatians or Labradors.
what ever i choose to get will be well looked after and trained to perfection.my collie is so well trained it walks next to me with out a lead where ever, can find its way home if i tell it to go home, is friendly with other people,kids and all animals (never bothers my rabbit, i do keep a close eye on it though)and knows all the tricks: fetch,spin,bark,jump,sit,ly down,etc etc.

Out of all the dogs you've mentioned there, Labrador is without a millisecond shadow of a doubt your best bet :good:

Akita's and Husky's are like chalk and cheese. Apart from having a fluffy coat, they do not have much else in common. I apologise in advance to Akita owners if my opinion is unjust, but I'm very weary of those dogs. I've handled a few of them and I just never know with them. I find them harder than most breeds to read and though I'm quite sure many people keep them as family pets, I wouldn't recommend them.

Husky's are not easy to train. They are very stubborn and very strong. They are eternal teenagers and most certainly very destructive. More so than any other dog we've ever had. As beautiful as they are, I feel those dogs belong in a very specific environment & home.

good luck in your quest :good:

I would say Akitas are as hard as Huskies but for different reasons. They're pretty stubborn and headstrong for one. I know a couple of people with gorgeous Akitas who are loyal family pets, but they are aware of their breed disposition and if you're not after a very hard dog to keep, neither an Akita nor a Husky are for you.

TBH if you can put the looks issue aside, you're likely to have much more success finding the right dog for your situation. Even better if you're willing to consider a rescue dog, as good rescues will assess the temperament and needs of the dog and match then to your situation. Often it's not the dog you think that is the best for you *lol*. You can also do agility and even show crossbreeds in certain shows, so having one wouldn't rule that out. :good:

If you do decide to go with a pedigree dog, make sure you do what you're doing now - looking into it before getting one. Make sure you're aware of the signs of backyard breeders and puppy farms, these are more common than you think. Approach the breed club if you're after a pedigree.

Can I also beg you to consider a rescue dog? Many people mistakenly think you can't find pedigrees in rescue, or that rescue dogs all have problems. I've had a few pedigrees here and they've all been rescue dogs - none of them have been "problem" dogs, and Dharma, our current dog even came into rescue as a puppy. Obviously the rarer breeds don't come up as often, but the more common breeds (including Labs) are very common in rescue now. If you're willing to have a crossbreed, you'll have an even greater choice. :good:

Yep - everyone's giving great advice. Huskies are probably one of THE hardest breeds to keep stimulated and safe. They're said to be headstrong and difficult to train for novices, some people (not my personal opinion) say they should never be let offlead, so recall must be an issue. Some make fantastic pets with a lot of hard work and effort, but it's a 24 hour job and an understimulated husky is a nightmare.

If I were you, I would get in touch with a really good local trainer who uses positive training methods and ask their experience with them too, as you'll be wanting them involved probably. If you're dead set on one, I would recommend taking him/her to puppy classes initially then moving on to obedience classes long term (clicker work is good for headstrong dogs). :good:

I agree with this having had Sibes for the first 18 years of my life. They are extremely headstrong and difficult to train at the best of times, and you need to be very careful not to break their spirit when teaching them right from wrong. (i.e. no heavy handed techniques at all (which should never be used anyways))

Out of our 12 Sibes, we only ever had 2 we could trust completely off leash. The other 10, forget it, if they saw the chance, they were gone. It just totally depends on the individual dog. They constantly tested fencing, leads, etc. to find ways to freedom. We had one male who even climbed a tree to get out of the yard. They dig like fiends. They like to be on things, up high. Watch for picnic tables if you have one, we had one who broke his leg jumping off his favorite perch.

They have a wicked sense of humour. Kind of hard to describe to you unless you've known a Sibe, but those who have will know what I am talking about. Most of the times that humour involves staying just far enough in reach to make you think you've caught them, but just far enough out of reach to sprint away quickly.

Once a Sibe has it's mind made up, it's very difficult to change that mind. In fact, most times you can't.

They are very loving and loyal dogs though, if treated properly. They like alot of interaction, attention and affection. That said, they are also very independant. They are also killers, who won't stop at eating the neighbours cat, the odd raccoon wandering through a yard, and we've had several who would bait birds. They would pretend they were sleeping and leave kibble in their bowls. The birds would come steal a piece of kibble, and thinking the dog was asleep would get braver and braver, until Snap! Lunch time for the Sibe. They are good with kids though.

I totally agree with Bloo as well. Sibes are meant for a very special home and enviroment. Not everyone can manage or understand a Sibe. I would like a Sibe again as well, but until my husband can learn the ways of dog from our two labs,(he's never had a pet before, let alone a dog. We've been gently easing him in for the last 7 years) But until then, I won't do it. At this tender stage, a Sibe would be enough for him to declare "No more dogs ever!". Does that answer your question a bit?

I have also heard from a few people I know who have them, they are extremly territorial, so be careful around other dogs and small children.

English staffy's are one of the best dogs you can get. We have one, mother in law has 2, sis in law has 2. Very loyal, loving, protective etc and fantastic around kids.

wow, all the books i read and the sites ive visited have never given the personal experience side of things, reading what all you have writen, is making me change my mind, i was dead set on getting one, all the research dont, a few phone calls to trainers and thought i had it all compleated, seems not.
my work has loads of rescue dogs (kennel/rescue home is where i work) but i fancied a pup i could bring up my own way.plus most of the resuce dogs have silly names, lol
no dog is easy to train bloo, it takes hard work and a lot of patience, i was willing to put in the effort with a husky. i wasnt saying they are easy to train, but like anyother dog, takes time and willing.
i will have a look into it again, i was really thinking of a Labrador, till the mother fell pregant with huskys and i did a lot of research on them. i do like the idea of getting a rescue dog, but like i said before, i wanted to bring up the pup my own way to get along with my dog at the moment, i wasnt too bothered about showing, it was mearly the husky i was thinking about, but you never know.
im totally not bothered either about a pedigree dog, i go for looks, personality and the one that stands out. weather its a pure bred, or mongral, its what ever i like at the time, (not meaning that to sound funny, i hope you understand)
i will have a look at the rescue dogs at work, i usally work at the boarding part so dont see them much, if there is one i really like and will fit into my family well, then maybe i found what im looking for.i doubt they is any pups at work, but that doesnt bother me.aslong as they get along with my other dog, my falimy, is well behaved and well trained, and happy, than the perfect dog is that, i know i ask a lot, but im willing to put in the effort and try hard, i realise keeping a dog isnt no quick way to get a pet,
i never use heavy handed tech. when training dogs, NEVER. i hate all animal cruelity and would never do anything to hurt the dogs, i usally use the advice of the dog trainer, to refuse treats when dont something wrong, and reward when done something right (not as simple as that, but you get the idea)
the killer part of the sibe's really puts me off, my collie knows its boundries and if the gates ever open, he never leaves.i wouldnt like finding a half eaten cat in my garden due to my huskys hunger :sick:
now im thinking of getting a Labrador, i really like the black or cream colored ones.the dalamation also really apeals to me.
urrr, to many dogs to choose from, shame i can only get one.lol
i will have another think, and will look again at the rescue dogs, i may put off the idea of a husky for now, i will always dream of having one, but guess some dreams never become real.
the akitas will also have to wait.
i still dont fancy a small dog, a medium to large dogs i would prefer.
cheers for the info, i will still like to read your comments and suggestions on the matter, im always open for advice.
you may have saved me from my husky nightmare, and even saved a dog in rescue.
thanks again :good:

sorry for the last post being so long, dont blame you for not reading it all,
thanks for the suggetion but i dont like the English staff's.nice dogs, but not for me.(dont mean to sound rude)

no dog is easy to train bloo, it takes hard work and a lot of patience, i was willing to put in the effort with a husky.
Sounds like you're giving this some good thought. I had my first large dog (a Dobermann) under my sole care and training when I was about 10 years old.
I diligently went to the Dobermann club training school every week to train my dog (while practicing at home and out and about daily). I did feel a little out of place as the youngest person there (everyone else was an adult!) - but where there's dedication and willingness to learn (alongside the dog) it's not a problem. We eventually made it all the way up to the top class over the years :good:
But what I was trying to say, is that if you enjoy training, there's a huge difference in training a dog that's easy and willing to train - versus a dog that's headstrong and quite unwilling to train. I loved how quickly my Dobermann would learn and respond. And it would drive me nuts to have a dog that wasn't as eager to learn. Nto that it's not rewarding to teach a difficult dog. But there's a big difference.
So I can completely understand why you want a pup or young dog.

Good luck :good:

A good example I can give you is the other morning when I went out to my car to leave for work, I saw this guy chasing his siberian husky down the road in his car, yelling its name.. the thing was a mile down the road in no time, they are runners and are born to do it, they love the free life and you'll be hard pressed to find or train one to walk next to you without a lead... plus I have heard they bark... alot!

my work has loads of rescue dogs (kennel/rescue home is where i work) but i fancied a pup i could bring up my own way.plus most of the resuce dogs have silly names

All our dogs have been rescue dogs apart from our first one an english setter. Rescue dogs IMO are better because most have been housetrained and already know basic commands so theres less work to do although they do come with problems sometimes especially the ones that have been beaten. We got our last dog a rottweiler/german shepherd cross when she was 18 months old and has been the best dog we have ever had shes nearly 13 years old now. When we first got her though she was afraid of everything thats had wires like the hoover obviously because she had been beaten by her previous owner. She came round after a few months and we havent looked back.

As for some rescue dogs coming with silly names just change the name if you dont like it, its dosent take dogs that long to learn a new name.

Most reactions

Back