Shrimps

Gnatfish

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey

Do all Shrimps clean up algae? Are their any that are better than others?

Gnatfish

No, not all shrimp eat algae. The Caridina Japonica (Amano Shrimp) is your most likely candidate for algae eating.

Cool thanks. How do amano's compare to ottos apart from the bio load? Who's the best at eating algae? Amanos are seeming to be particular hard ot get hold off.

To me Caridina Japonica are better than Otocinclus - without a doubt (and I have both).
Obviously the shrimp has a far lesser bio load too.

Umm...i'll keep a look out for them, but they dont seem to like anywhere near me. How long do you think they can last in a pastic bag for?

I live over an hour away from a fish shop and my amano shrimp were fine (was more like 1hr 30min as i had to wait for buses etc), but try keep it as low as possible amount of time.

Obviously the less time in transport, the better. But that said, I've bought some during my lunch hour at work and it was a good 5-6 hours before I got home and them in the tank. There were all fine :)

Alternatively you could look at some online sites, but of course there is a greater risk in mortality of some.

Thanks everyone.

As i said before i'll keep a look out for some Shrimps. However Bloo you said about ordering online. This is seems quite risky to me, what are people views on this? How does it work exactly?

Thanks

Nathan

Had both Amano and Ottos and the amano are twice as good. AND the ottos and buggers to keep ALIVE!!!! they seem to suffer from fits of sudden death. I have had my tank for 4 months, lost 2 fish, both ottos!

Search the net, i have found others say exactly the same problem.

Chris

Most reactions

Back