Shrimps and Dwarf Gourami

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jenny32

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Dwarf Gourami, Harlequin Rasboras and cardinal tetras in a 90L tank. I have added 6 Ammano Shrimps recently, they stay hidden in a little rock cave most of the time and I found one dead this morning. I am wondering if the dwarf gourami is scaring them and/or killed one of them. I did see him go for one a few days ago. Also wondering if i am feeding him enough and the right stuff. They get fish flakes twice a day and defrosted mosquito larvae 2/3 times a week.

Any suggestions and advice welcomed!

Thanks

The DG could definitely be scaring the shrimp. They probably won’t be able to swallow one, but they could certainly kill it/pick it to death.

More plants will create more hiding places for the shrimp.

I’ve got dwarf gourami with amano shrimp and although the shrimp spend most of their time out of sight amongst plants, whenever I’ve seen them out and about the DGs have never bothered them. I once saw a shrimp take a pellet away from one of the DGs 😂

Hi,

I have a Dwarf Gourami, Harlequin Rasboras and cardinal tetras in a 90L tank. I have added 6 Ammano Shrimps recently, they stay hidden in a little rock cave most of the time and I found one dead this morning. I am wondering if the dwarf gourami is scaring them and/or killed one of them. I did see him go for one a few days ago. Also wondering if i am feeding him enough and the right stuff. They get fish flakes twice a day and defrosted mosquito larvae 2/3 times a week.

Any suggestions and advice welcomed!

Thanks
As you may remember, (or not), I have Amano, Wood and assorted Neocaridina shrimp in my tank, with a male Dwarf Gourami, khuli loach, cherry barb and a panda garra...all down at shrimp level. These fish are also very, VERY keen on the shrimp food, so there's lots of opportunity for interaction.
The only fish I've yet seen take a possibly unhealthy interest in a genuinely tiny shrimplet, was the Panda and the shrimplet was well able to dart out of the way.
Of all my fish, I had expected Tyrion to be the most potentially problematic, as he has the biggest gob on him, but he seems content not to, even though he's had shrimplets really close up and even a-dangling from the roots of the floating Salvinia sp..

Cleaning out my tank this morning, I did find many empty shrimp shells, but these are most likely cast-off coats, following a moulting, because, by head count, I don't yet appear to have lost any of my larger specimens.

I’ve got dwarf gourami with amano shrimp and although the shrimp spend most of their time out of sight amongst plants, whenever I’ve seen them out and about the DGs have never bothered them. I once saw a shrimp take a pellet away from one of the DGs 😂
Yeah he did ignore a shrimp with a pellet the other day so thought ut was probably ok or he was just in a good mood!

As you may remember, (or not), I have Amano, Wood and assorted Neocaridina shrimp in my tank, with a male Dwarf Gourami, khuli loach, cherry barb and a panda garra...all down at shrimp level. These fish are also very, VERY keen on the shrimp food, so there's lots of opportunity for interaction.
The only fish I've yet seen take a possibly unhealthy interest in a genuinely tiny shrimplet, was the Panda and the shrimplet was well able to dart out of the way.
Of all my fish, I had expected Tyrion to be the most potentially problematic, as he has the biggest gob on him, but he seems content not to, even though he's had shrimplets really close up and even a-dangling from the roots of the floating Salvinia sp..

Cleaning out my tank this morning, I did find many empty shrimp shells, but these are most likely cast-off coats, following a moulting, because, by head count, I don't yet appear to have lost any of my larger specimens.
Ah good point I wonder if it was a shell I saw instead of a body...it was see-through but dud seem to have legs.. could easily have been just a shell

Ah good point I wonder if it was a shell I saw instead of a body...it was see-through but dud seem to have legs.. could easily have been just a shell
More than likely a molt...dead shrimp are opaque, not transparent

Makes me feel a bit better! Can I ask what you feed the DG on other than flakes? Been thinking of vegetables but not sure how/what

Makes me feel a bit better! Can I ask what you feed the DG on other than flakes? Been thinking of vegetables but not sure how/what
I don't keep DG's, but like any other gourami, they will eat most high-quality fish foods (flakes, pellets, sticks, etc)

They may nibble at veggies, but IME, aren't big veggie eaters

Tyrion enjoys all of the Dennerle shrimp pellets...plus the Tetra PLeco Spirulina wafers and Fluval Bug Bites Tropical Flakes.
He's also quite partial to frozen cyclops, bloodworm, daphnia, etc..

Tyrion enjoys all of the Dennerle shrimp pellets...plus the Tetra PLeco Spirulina wafers and Fluval Bug Bites Tropical Flakes.
Did not know of Bug Bites flakes, only the tiny "bits" variety (?)

Sounds good think ill definitely give some of them a go

Most reactions

Back