Shrimp

The high nitrates may have killed your shrimp as shrimp are sensitive to high nitrates. Try and keep your nitrates <25

It really isn't difficult to keep nitrate below 20ppm with just very basic routine maintenance.  I change only about 24 litres of my 100 litre every weekend with temperature matched dechlorinated water, having a good syphon round on the sand for rubbish, and do a mid-week hoover round with a small battery powered vac (not changing water, just vacuuming some of the crud up from the sand surface).  And my tank is pretty much running at its full bio-load (although with my constant water parameters, measured and recorded every week, and well-being of all inhabitants I'm about to add a dwarf gourami).  I know shrimp are very sensitive to water conditions; I've had four large Amano shrimp for 5 months now and they have all thrived with regular growth/skin shedding, and they don't hide away, very active and happy with everything else in the tank.

What kind of shrimp? I had a group of ghost shrimp die mysteriously one by one in my 20g. Then I got some red cherry shrimp who are multiplying at an astonishing rate and I have yet to find a dead one. 

Most reactions

Back