Shrimp

rebeledd

Reaction score
Last week my tank was fully cycled so I stocked it with 3 neon tetra and 2 shrimp to start off.

This weekend the shrimp died after behaving strangely and rolling onto their backs etc..

The tetra seem happy apart from the fact that they seem to always be chasing one another. I have an API test kit and all levels are fine. Does anyone know what might have gone wrong?

Thanks in advance.

What do you mean by levels are fine? Can you give exact readings?

What size is the tank? How did you cycle the tank?

Have you added any other chemicals to the tank?

There are many questions I need to ask:
1. How big is the tank?
2. What is the filtration system?
3. How did you cycle the tank?
4. what are the specific readings of the water?

Now some things you need to know now:
1. Neon tetras should be added to a new tank even if it's cycle. They need a tank at least 6 months old.
2. The same goes for shrimp.
3. Neon tetras need to have more buddies.

The tank is 20l, it was cycled using pure ammonia and the levels are currently as follows:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 30
PH: I have the API Master test kit. Using the low range kit the colour is dark blue. Using the high range it shows a brown red colour which isn't on the chart?

The filter contains biomax pellets and a sponge. Chemicals used were ammonia during cycling and tetra tap safe.

Thanks again.

Do you have live plants in the tank? Some aquarium plants are treated with a pesticide that can kill shrimps.

Sorry to hijack the post, but I'm concerned with Fluttermoth's comment - I have a 6 months established tank, all inhabitants are doing well including 4 amano shrimp.  But I'm very close to replacing the silk plants with real plants (once I've decided what would do well in my tank!).  How can I be sure to get plants that won't kill my shrimp?  Is it a case of washing any new plants in old tank water, or will treated plants stay poisonous to shrimp?

You can check with the supplier (it's mostly non EU plants that have to be treated before import, legally), or you can soak the plants in an alkaline solution (water with the pH raised with bicarb would do the job) for three or four days, changing the water every day, which will neutralise the pesticide.

I do have plants. Maybe that's the reason.

The PH still confuses me though. I can't work out the reading. It's dark blue on the low range and a browny red colour on the high range.

Thanks again

That'll be around 7.5 then :)

What were the actual numbers from your tests? What ppm of ammonia did you cycle with? Shrimp are far more sensitive to ammonia and nitrite than most fish, so you want to make sure the tank is stable.

I would wait for at least a month before you add any more shrimps

What type of shrimp were these? How did you acclimate them to the tank?
What type of plants do you have?
What type of ammonia did you use to cycle the tank?
You need to do several big water changes to remove whatever is in the water causing it. And do immediate large water change or several in a row if needed, when seeing signs of stress. Don't run testing with useless tests instead. A rolling shrimp will be worse staying in watever is killing it than being stressed by some large water change.
If that is a second hand tank and the previous owner treate with copper, its almost impossible to eradicate as it gets absorbed by the silicone.
And then on the same note your tap water may contain copper. Try doubling the dechlrorinator dose and let the water settle for longer. Chlorine isn't well tolerated well too.

We need the exact amount you used for your tests. Also, neon tetras should be kept in groups of 6. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for your help.

I cycled the tank using pure ammonia. The levels seem pretty stable, ammonia is 0 and nitrite is 0. Nitrate is around 30 - What is the maximum level I should let the nitrate climb to?

I am hopefully going to get a guppy on the weekend and maybe another tetra to join the others. I would like to get more but I am limited by tank space.

You want to aim to keep your nitrate at no more than 20ppm of what's in your tap water.

Most reactions

Back