Shrimp, Snails, Catfish…

October FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sir Guppy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Which of these are most effective at keeping an aquarium clean and fighting algae?

None! 🧐 a strict weekly maintenance routine is the most effective I'm afraid. Catfish, especially plecos, just add to the mess, snails and shrimp are grazers and will do an average job

What type of algae are you experiencing? How long are your lights on for and what is your water changing regime like? You could post a couple of photos of your tank so we can have a look at what you're dealing with too 👍🏻 it's better to find the cause and cure it rather than rely on the livestock

I'd say that in spite of your objection, it's still none of the above. Some creatures will eat some algae, if it's a type they like. None will eat the garbage that can accumulate.
In a tank, they may eat all the algae they like, then you have a hungry tank inhabitant.

My favourite is how they used to tell us Corys would eat uneaten food. Corys will eat food off the bottom, All fish eat "uneaten' food. The old school experts never said to stop overfeeding. The idea that a fish or other creature could clean a tank is a bad start. You've asked an impossible question with no answer.

If you just want some fish that eat algae because they are an interesting part of your ecosystem, or if you view your algae as a resource that shouldn't go to waste, I'd say amano shrimp and panda garra are the best algae eaters I've kept. They're fun to watch and easy to care for.

But Gary and the Captain are right; none of those critters will really solve an algae problem. Keep up on your water changes, find the balance of light intensity, day length, and live plants (if you're into live plants), and over time the algae will start to diminish.

The OP is like asking what kind of bucket is the best at fixing a leaky roof.
Algae is the result of an imbalance where there is excess light and nutrients. Don't overstock your aquarium and don't overfeed to prevent excess nutrients. Cut back on the duration and/or intensity of lighting.
No animal can possibly do those things and deal with the root causes of algae.

If you just want some fish that eat algae because they are an interesting part of your ecosystem, or if you view your algae as a resource that shouldn't go to waste, I'd say amano shrimp and panda garra are the best algae eaters I've kept. They're fun to watch and easy to care for.

But Gary and the Captain are right; none of those critters will really solve an algae problem. Keep up on your water changes, find the balance of light intensity, day length, and live plants (if you're into live plants), and over time the algae will start to diminish.
Plus like any other creature, they have their own needs and sometimes drawbacks. Hillstream loaches eat algae, but they need high flow highly oxygenated water and cooler temperatures. Siamese algae eaters (obviously) but they need to be in a shoal. Same with otos. I wonder how many people have bought a two inch common pleco from a fish store on the basis that it will eat their algae without realizing that it turns into a 15-22 inch monster.

No animal can possibly do those things and deal with the root causes of algae.
One animal actually can - Homo sapiens (marketing name: humans). I don't mean to pile on the OP, because you asked a basic question we see a lot. It goes way back to the mythological balanced aquarium, where it was supposed that no maintenance tanks were a matter of finding the right inhabitants. You're in good company.

If it's a brown build-up on your tank walls, decorations, and even live plants nerite snails do a bang up job of eating it. I hear amano shrimp are best for green hair algae.

And remember, for some of the algae, you must do your job and clean up some of it and let the animals help you the rest of the way. Even when the snails have a lot of eat, you can bet they produce a lot of mulm that you need to clean up. But it's worth it because the decor and tank stays pretty clean and you don't have to scrub as much from what I've experienced.

Last edited:
Ah, sorry! I should have been more specific with the question. I am not having trouble with algae, I made this post with a discussion of opinion in mind. 😄
Thanks for the advice though!
My tank is quite understocked, not close to any windows. I am one of the fortunate few that never has problems with algea for whatever reason, (With the exception of a black beard algae outbreak).
If algae does appear though, I suppose I know where to look!

Ah, sorry! I should have been more specific with the question. I am not having trouble with algae, I made this post with a discussion of opinion in mind. 😄
Thanks for the advice though!
My tank is quite understocked, not close to any windows. I am one of the fortunate few that never has problems with algea for whatever reason, (With the exception of a black beard algae outbreak).
If algae does appear though, I suppose I know where to look!
Ah. Well in that case, check out panda garra (the most underrated algae eater in the hobby, in my opinion) and amano shrimp. Two of my absolute favorites. I am currently enjoying my hillstream loaches, but I wish they weren't so shy.

Most reactions

Back