Shrimp population explosion

Manon

Reaction score
Hi all
I was gifted 5 blue shrimp about two months ago. I was very happy at the time. Now I have more like 500 blue shrimp of varying sizes and the rate at which they're multiplying is worrying. Everywhere I look there are little blue shrimp, from the top to the bottom of the tank - the pic is from before even smaller shrimp appeared.

Other than shrimp, there are 8 ember tetras and 4 honey gouramis in the tank (60L tall), who have all lived happily together for five months. Parameters are stable and the tank has been a joy from day one. Is there a predator fish that would fit in with the current tank mates and help control the shrimp population?

Many thanks

Attachments

• 6cafae7a-00c4-4a52-b6a5-50505400853e.jpg
    6cafae7a-00c4-4a52-b6a5-50505400853e.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 90
Hi all
I was gifted 5 blue shrimp about two months ago. I was very happy at the time. Now I have more like 500 blue shrimp of varying sizes and the rate at which they're multiplying is worrying. Everywhere I look there are little blue shrimp, from the top to the bottom of the tank - the pic is from before even smaller shrimp appeared.

Other than shrimp, there are 8 ember tetras and 4 honey gouramis in the tank (60L tall), who have all lived happily together for five months. Parameters are stable and the tank has been a joy from day one. Is there a predator fish that would fit in with the current tank mates and help control the shrimp population?

Many thanks
i would just use these shrimp to feed a bigger fish

Agreed with EllRog, your LFS may take them in return for store credit.
You may also be able to sell a couple on Gumtree or wherever else. Depending on where you're located, I wouldn't mind taking in a few at some point in the near future.

Agreed with EllRog, your LFS may take them in return for store credit.
You may also be able to sell a couple on Gumtree or wherever else. Depending on where you're located, I wouldn't mind taking in a few at some point in the near future.
I'm in Dorset and you're welcome to have some if i'm close enough for you.

Ah, Kent over here! That's a shame.
You might be able to post them through a 24hr courier with the right supplies in the future. Would definitely have to be something you consider before jumping into it, since it can be a little risky.

Yes bring to pet store, so you can get more types of equipment fish and shrimp!!!

I concur with @EllRog - I exchange cherry shrimp for in-store credit at my LFS all the time.

God i wish i had a few of them i got Sakura Shrimp had absolutely no luck, fish guy told me to keep them with my Mountain Minnows they like that cold temp no luck at all

Most reactions

Back