Shrimp Or Snails With Betta?

NewbieDerby

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Can shrimps ad snails live with a Betta in a 25L tank? I have small gravel a real plant and an artificial one. The water is very cloudy but I have read that it is from Bacterial bloom as it is a week old tank. I am doing 25% water changes every day as the fish was added on Thursday. I imagine people will tell me I should have done the fishless method of cycling but keep ammonia in my house just was not a possibility at this time.

So shrimps or snails?

Snails and shrimp are pickier about theire water conditions than bettas. Sometimes bettas wiill eat shrimp or pick on snails it depends on your fish.

Wait until your cycle is over before adding any shrimp or snails. They are more sensitive and the fluctuating water won't do well for them.

Keep in mind: Some bettas will live in harmony with shrimp AND/OR snails. Some will eat them and peck at them until they die.

I have had experience with both, one betta left shrimp alone and the other betta ate them like they had icing on top. The demon betta also pecked at my snails until they would leave the water and eventually die. The nice betta left them alone.

I have heard this story from many people around here. Wait until your cycle is over and you can test it out. Make sure to have a back up plan to rehome the snail and shrimp if it doesn't work out.

I kept a snail with my Betta and he didn't care. I think it depends on the Betta. Mines is very calm and not aggressive.

My old betta Pablo didn't seem to mind shrimp too much, but then I got a new betta on Saturday to replace him and all my cherries are missing. I saw him catch one the last night so I'm certain it's him (though the strange thing is that there are no bodies left around and he doesn't have a fat belly :huh: ). He was even attacking the smaller pouch snails a few hours after going into the tank. I've also had other bettas in the past, one who killed the neons he was in with and one who didn't mind them at all. It's all very much down to the individual fish. I might try a nerite snail with my new betta in time, but I can't imagine much else by the looks of things (I was hoping for a few male endlers but they seem out of the window now).

I'd maybe try a few of the larger shrimp (ghosts/amanos) and see how they go. Some bettas make excellent community fish, some like the whole tank to themselves.

I had a snail with my guy and he didn't care much for him LOL. Soon i will be adding 2 corydoras and a snail again to his tank. Hopefully it will go well :)

Most reactions

Back