Shrimp Lollies

Flowerfairy13

Reaction score
Hi Everyone 👋
Just wondering does anybody have any good tried & tested recipes for homemade Shrimp Lollies? I bought some this week but they were crazy expensive (€15 for 6 lollies!!!) So I think it would be better to try and make some myself!
Thanks so much in advance!

Attachments

• Berried Shrimp.jpg
    Berried Shrimp.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 39
First, I know what a lollie is because of friends from Yorkshire... but shrimp lollies are new to me. Shrimp food on a stick?

First, I know what a lollie is because of friends from Yorkshire... but shrimp lollies are new to me. Shrimp food on a stick?
Yes so it's essentially a long wooden skewer with dried food stuck to it and the shrimps pick at it. They are just really fun to watch because they strip them clean so quickly and they are so cute with their little picking motions!

I don't know if Repashy makes a gel shrimp food, but when their gel food is still warm, you can spread it onto sticks (tip courtesy of @Magnum Man )

I think the way to DIY this would be to blend up dry shrimp food into a powder and mix it with gelatin. You could either use popsicle/ice pop molds (although this might result in lollies that are way too big. I guess you could just remove them after a time and store them in the fridge for later feedings), or you could try to spread the gelatin mixture onto the sticks, or dip the sticks in the mixture to coat them. I think you'd want relatively little gelatin compared to the shrimp food, so it's less like a Jell-O dessert and more like a paste.

I don't know if Repashy makes a gel shrimp food, but when their gel food is still warm, you can spread it onto sticks (tip courtesy of @Magnum Man )

I think the way to DIY this would be to blend up dry shrimp food into a powder and mix it with gelatin. You could either use popsicle/ice pop molds (although this might result in lollies that are way too big. I guess you could just remove them after a time and store them in the fridge for later feedings), or you could try to spread the gelatin mixture onto the sticks, or dip the sticks in the mixture to coat them. I think you'd want relatively little gelatin compared to the shrimp food, so it's less like a Jell-O dessert and more like a paste.
That makes sense - although maybe Agave might be better than Gelatin. Thank you!!
I thought Shrimp Lollies were really popular!! I live in a small Irish town where tropical fish keeping barely exists so I thought if I knew about them surely EVERYONE knew about them:lol:

Not sure what shops you have in Ireland.
but €15 for 6 sounds extreme

I have generally seen them £6-£8 for 12. Which I think is more around €7-8. So I would do a bit more shopping around.

You can also buy these strange little stickmen to hold them.........

(Note this is not mine, I have no shrimp.....yet)

Attachments

• stickman.JPG
    stickman.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 20
At my local Maidenhead they were 9.99 for 10 sticks. Used two so far had one shrimp on them 🤦‍♂️

Most reactions

Back