Shrimp breeding questions

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Connershawzz

Mbuna lover
Reaction score
So my wife bought shrimp off Amazon “without my knowledge we have 3 blue ones left out of 25 after about 2 months. They have been in my live bearer tank , they have grown and are doing well. Will I be able to expect baby shrimp anytime soon ?

Blue makes it very hard for pictures of course

Attachments

• IMG_4012.jpeg
    IMG_4012.jpeg
    406 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4011.jpeg
    IMG_4011.jpeg
    274.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4013.jpeg
    IMG_4013.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 19
To start my colony I bought a breeder pack(10 females and 5 males). That got the job done.

You need a picture on the back of the tank and a heap of floating plants if you expect to see any baby fish or shrimp. Without plants, the swordtails and platy will eat any baby shrimp they see.

The following link has info on growing aquarium plants but also a list of good plants to try.

The fishes pose a threat to nauplii due to the vast size difference. If you want your cherry shrimp population to thrive, you'll need to take steps to protect the nauplii. Very young cherry shrimp < 1/4 inch will be seen as a snack by platies, especially if there aren't enough hiding places for the shrimplets.

Adding more plants, especially dense and bushy varieties, or shrimp-specific hiding caves will significantly improve the nauplii's chances of survival. Moss can also be a good option as it provides a safe haven for the tiny shrimp.

Nauplii need biofilm and fresh algae to survive the first 2-3 weeks, after that they will start to go for larger food.

Botanical like cholla wood and catappa leaves are good support to grow biofilm.

Most reactions

Back