Show off your greatest aquarium find!

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure everyone loves finding an incredible deal on things, so I thoughts it would be fun to have a thread where we can share it!

Ok so my first one is this curly lucky bamboo. At my LFS, they sell a 12” shoot of curly lucky bamboo for $14. At my Local Petco they sell an 8 inch straight shoot for $3. Well I went to Lowe’s and they had 18” shoots of curly bamboo for $5! That was already an awesome price, but I looked in the “damaged - half off” shelf and they had almost 20 really nice ones, barely damaged at all. So I came home with nearly 20x 18 inch bamboo for $2 a piece!
D6BC9089-18C3-4070-9E2D-72BBC813C044.jpeg

Got one of these for free:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My greatest find is my local fish store. I was going to another one that was around here but then found this one that's closer. The fish are SOOOO much cheaper AND the fish tanks are cleaner. 10/10.

The lucky bamboo might not last long submerged that deep. I've seen a surge of people doing that..but I don't think any were of plants grown for months that way.
Also,all that thin green cambium tissue might be rasped by suckermouth fish.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news on this board,but its years of trying and trying...;)

The lucky bamboo might not last long submerged that deep. I've seen a surge of people doing that..but I don't think any were of plants grown for months that way.
Also,all that thin green cambium tissue might be rasped by suckermouth fish.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news on this board,but its years of trying and trying...;)
Hmmm interesting. What is a good depth for bamboo?

About an inch. If you did it that way,the plant might grow water roots THEN it can last forever grown like that- and my advice to growing house plants hydroponically? Add iron to the water. Makes a huge difference.

1648145901486.png

Plastic scrubber...Algae scrubber and filter media. Six for a dollar at the Dollar store. I have one of my canister filters loaded with this running for years!

Last edited:
You know what works even better than those scrubbers used on glass? An old credit card. It will remove toughest algae..even that gray smear stuff right off of acrylic. Just use the long sides,not the short- that can scratch sometimes. The long sides glide better.
I use the scrubbers too since they do a good job and cover area faster- then I go over with the card.

I do use them in my filter too. If they get caked in detritus,then wash them out lightly.
One more. Dollar store sells them smaller and more dense than the other stores sell them. The Dollar store pads are better bio media.

Most reactions

Back