Should this keep me up at night? (stand smaller than aquarium)

Flyer99

Reaction score
Hello guys, I hope I dont get too much heat for this, as some may view the answer to this question as an obvious no. But here goes.

I want to buy a slightly larger tank than the one I just set up because I think my fish would benefit from some more space. Here's the deal, the tank I want to buy is 90cm x 45cm x 45cm (180 litres) my cabinet instead is 90cm x 40cm x 120cm.

The cabinet is 5cm shorter front to back, my question is if I get 25mm marine plywood that is the exact size of the tank and place it on top of the cabinet top surface, would that give enough support for the 2.5cm of extra width each side to release some pressure from the silicone. I always see built aquarium cabinets where the support legs are always inside the top flat layer, so this wouldn't be too different from that. The cabinet has 6 legs made from metal.

This is the cabinet, currently holding my 80 litres. Legs are made from metal.

Thank you to all :)

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 21.20.34.png

Perhaps this will help, also take in account weight of aquarium, substrate etc. Maybe your stand has a weight limit on the product description, I would check if possible

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210414-161423_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210414-161423_Chrome.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 57
Perhaps this will help, also take in account weight of aquarium, substrate etc. Maybe your stand has a weight limit on the product description, I would check if possible

Hi there, welcome!
The cabinet has a weight limit of 80 kg. The tank I have on it right now is 80 litres plus, tank weight, sand, rocks. So well over 100kg already. I think because the weight acts completely vertical as long as theres no cracks or dents on the metal frame legs it should be fine in terms of weight.

Hi there, welcome!
The cabinet has a weight limit of 80 kg. The tank I have on it right now is 80 litres plus, tank weight, sand, rocks. So well over 100kg already. I think because the weight acts completely vertical as long as theres no cracks or dents on the metal frame legs it should be fine in terms of weight.

I would never assume that; if the stand says it will safely hold 80 kg, I would not go over that. Anything that might affect the stability of the stand is a candidate for toppling it when it is top heavy.

Hello. Yes it would keep me up at night. The stand max weight is 80kg and the tank is 100kg plus the weight of the plywood. Did you ever wonder why they weigh luggage on a airplane? Not to just charge money but to ensure the plane is not overweight for its lift. Now would you feel safe if the plane you were on was 20% over its weight limit? If so - set up the tank.

My concern is the stand. That type of shelving unit is not designed to hold 200 kg of aquarium. If it was designed to hold 170kg then it would possibly be ok. But it is only rated to 80kg and you are planning on putting 180kg of water on it. In my book, that is a bit too much.

I would either build a decent stand and have the tank on top and put some shelves under it, or stay with the smaller tank.

Hello. Yes it would keep me up at night. The stand max weight is 80kg and the tank is 100kg plus the weight of the plywood. Did you ever wonder why they weigh luggage on a airplane? Not to just charge money but to ensure the plane is not overweight for its lift. Now would you feel safe if the plane you were on was 20% over its weight limit? If so - set up the tank.
Looks like it belongs in the kitchen for pot/pan vegetables. If me I would just invest in a real aquarium stand.

Most reactions

Back