Should I use medication for my betta with dropsy?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

P&BtheBetta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've been treating my betta with dropsy with Epsom salt baths, and doing 50-70% water changes the scales are still pine coned (past two days and today) :(
however, he seems a bit better (i don't know if I'm just imagining things) but he is less lethargic?

Should I give him medication for dropsy to try to help? If so, which one?

I think he has late stage dropsy which is really hard to cure but I want to take a shot at it or should I just stop?

I bought betta fix however I've seen that it might be bad for him so I'm hesitant to use it. Kanaplex earliest I can get it will arrive tomorrow. Are there any other brands that tend to be either available in pet stores or have quick shipping on amazon?

Very recently I tested the water and the parameters were all ideal for bettas (I've run out of test strips since then)
0ppm ammonia
0ppm nirtrite
0-20 ppm nitrate
6.8-7.2 pH
0 chlorine

The scales are pineconed and there's fluid building up in his body. I'm not very experienced with fish keeping so I don't know any other diseases that it could be. :/
What are your water parameters, why are you so sure this is Dropsy?

Dropsy is not a disease per se, it is a symptom that usually shows at the end of viable life.

Fluid build up within the tissues from kidney failure. There is no cure for the last stages of kidney failure...dropsy.

You would be best to euthanise the fish and put it out of its pain.

Dropsy is not a disease per se, it is a symptom that usually shows at the end of viable life.

Fluid build up within the tissues from kidney failure. There is no cure for the last stages of kidney failure...dropsy.

I agree with the above. I have had one or two fish among dozens (55 years of fishkeeping) that developed dropsy survive. I find that if you learn how to keep your fish alive for full lifespans, you becomes sadly familiar with dropsy, as it is a final stage in life symptom for a lot of elderly fish. With younger fish, the causes are many, so the treatments are fumbling in the dark. Threre is very little we can do except keep up the water changes and hope you see one of the rare recoveries.

Is it best to euthanize? Should I take a shot at medicating at the very least or is that just going to prolong his suffering? I'm fine to do so if it's the right choice.

IMG-4252.jpeg
IMG-4237.jpeg
IMG-4250.jpeg

his condition, not looking very good, still pretty responsive though :(
I agree with the above. I have had one or two fish among dozens (55 years of fishkeeping) that developed dropsy survive. I find that if you learn how to keep your fish alive for full lifespans, you becomes sadly familiar with dropsy, as it is a final stage in life symptom for a lot of elderly fish. With younger fish, the causes are many, so the treatments are fumbling in the dark. Threre is very little we can do except keep up the water changes and hope you see one of the rare recoveries.

Euthanise the fish.

Just cos it might act normally does not mean that its not in pain. Dropsy is end of life, the kidneys shut down first, hence the fluid retention/bloating that causes the pinecone appearance. After the kidneys shut down the rest of the internal organs start going necrotic and shut down.

What would you prefer....a quick painless death or a long drawn out, painful death?

End result will be the same....you need to step aside from the cute, must save to harder in the heart and use common sense and not let the fish suffer.

Most reactions

Back