Should I Separate My Male And Female Guppies?

NeonBlueLeon

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I need a little assistance in making a decision here.  I currently have four guppies in a 5.5 gallon tank, two males and two females.  I have had them for a little over a month now.  More importantly, I have had them for longer than the typical gestation period of a female guppy.  When I bought the guppies, one of the females was already visibly pregnant.

Now, I realize that stressful situations such as a new home can make a pregnant guppy withhold or abort her fry, but the group seems quite happy and they seem to be quite broken-in to their tank.  The tank is moderately planted with live and fake plants, but without floating decor.

My main concern here is that the males seem to like to follow the females around and sniff at their gravid spots, especially the more pregnant one.  She has been squared off for a few weeks now.  Does the constant attention from males stress the females out to the point of her holding on to the fry? 

To be sure, I tested the water (API liquid test kits).  Ammonia is zero, nitrites are zero, and nitrates are at 0.5.

I have a quarantine tank with filter media running in another tank; the quarantine tank can be up and running pretty much instantly.  Should I separate the happy family, or should I just maintain my patience to help the pregnant guppies give birth?  I was planning to move the males to the QT, as the QT is barely decorated.

Thanks for any help.

The closer to giving birth the more the males will follow the females around, males can  stress the females out it is best to separate them and remove the males

The stress may be caused by your incredibly small tank. They should be in at least a 10g. And unless you want a lot of fry, yes, separate them. How big is the QT tank?

This Old Spouse said:
The stress may be caused by your incredibly small tank. They should be in at least a 10g. And unless you want a lot of fry, yes, separate them. How big is the QT tank?
 stress not caused by small 5.5 gallon tank  if you put the two males and two females  in a 10 gallon tank you will get the same result  the too males stressing  the females

fish48 said:

fish48 said:
     in a 10 gallon tank to help stop the aggression add  more females or Another 2 pairs

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I have a 20 gallon which is very understocked at the moment.  Perhaps I will move the females there.  Do you think the stress of moving tanks will be too much for the poor mothers-to-be?

I think it will be less stressful than keeping them where they are, tbh.

fish48 said:
 stress not caused by small 5.5 gallon tank  if you put the two males and two females  in a 10 gallon tank you will get the same result  the too males stressing  the females

I'm not sure what you replied to as your post after this one has no comments from you in it but I don't agree with your comment. The bigger the tank, the more space the fish will have to hid and therefore will be less stressed. Sure the males will still chase them but they have nowhere to hide in the tank they're in so will be more stressed. 

Stress will be caused by fish being in small tanks in the wrong numbers as in this case.

Lunar Jetman said:

I'm not sure what you replied to as your post after this one has no comments from you in it but I don't agree with your comment. The bigger the tank, the more space the fish will have to hid and therefore will be less stressed. Sure the males will still chase them but they have nowhere to hide in the tank they're in so will be more stressed. 

Stress will be caused by fish being in small tanks in the wrong numbers as in this case.

Lunar Jetman said:

if you put the same two males and two females  in a 10 gallon the  stress will be the same it  don't make any difference if they have any were to hide or not.
you need to add more females

Most reactions

Back