Should I Euthanize?

denzil1nil

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Water stats p.h. 7.8, ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 40ppm temp 27 c 8hrs light

Hi guys Ive got a brand new problem with one of my fish help plz.

I have 6 diamond tetras 5 of which i bought 5 weeks ago at first i thought they were getting finrot because I had a long battle with it previous but that turned out to be me being paranoid in the end they had just nipped each other alot when they first went in the tank.

This morning tho when i switched the light on one of the new diamonds has a white growth 3-5mm on its side just behind the gill cover.

Im not sure if its a fungus or some kind of growth but the fish is acting completley normal and swimming with the other fish.

could it be a gill fluke? Is it flicking on things?

I don't think you should jump to euthanization either - it could be something easily fixed with meds

Theres no flicking or shimmyimg behaviour and I dont think its a gill fluke as its on the lateral line of the body near the gill cover. I just fed them and they all fed hungrily.

Im more against euthanizing but Im trying to just keep the tank running ready for setting up my new tank ( no budget at the mo :( ) and ive only just got through the headache of sorting finrot which went on for a good few week. Ive now only just got my ammonia down to 0ppm from a constant 0.25ppm over the last 2 weeks with at least two 50% w/c a week and with two dodgy knees this is killing me but nescessery.

Also all of my plants have been struggling lately but im also starting to see slight improvement in those in the last few days after seeking advice in this very forum.

My biggest problem being budget as im trying to set up a new tank as ive had nothing but problems with this tank which I had to use as my original 2ft tank decicided to have a wee on the carpet.

So the reason behind possible euthanazia is that I dont want it to spread and Id be struggling to afford meds and carbon pads plus go through even more waterchanges on top of what im doing allready.

I think im gonna give it 24hrs and if it gets anyworse then its gona have to go...

So I leave this in the hands of the fishy gods to decide.

:angry: so wrong to end it's life for something so minor :angry:

+1

It's not ideal, but when I have wanted to separate a fish from others to stop a disease spreading I've put it in a 4l ice cream tub in the airing cupboard (for warmth) and refreshed the water with tank water every day. Not a long term solution, but if you need to be careful with money you will need much less meds in a smaller tank. If you can put some plants in there too that would be better for the fish.

Could it be an anchor worm? If it looks attached to the body, maybe catch the fish, then pull whatever it is off. If possible a picture would help a lot.

+1 also

Tropical fish is the wrong hobby for you if you can't afford the basic necessities and for me, medication is a necessity. I'm sorry to put my judgy pants on but it just simply isn't a good enough reason to kill your fish. :no:

It could just be fungus or something simple. Why not do a diagnoses instead of just posting random facts here.
FIll this out and get actual help. Euthanizing is to end a fishes suffering. Its just needless fishy killing if its something easily fixed. {I was being nice there}

Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):

Only time you should kill any pet is if it is suffering and has no chance to recover. Quality if life.

If the fish in normal eating and fine I would just try and fit the problem not kill the fish.

Blimey upset a few here i see. The water stats I have are in the first post nothing has been added to the tank for ages except for these fish 5 weeks ago also theres no chance of getting a decent pic the tank is 30gal.

Tank inhabitants 6 diamonds, 2 neons and 1 hatchett (currently attemting to restock)

I agree that euthanazia should be a last resort and ive managed to get hold of a small tank to quarantine the affected fish.

And as for being in the wrong hobby because im struggling financially at the moment is rammel (new addition to the family and two knackerd knees put me out of work )Im doing the best i can with what i have packing up and quitting sounds to easy to me. .

And surley had I not got hold of this quarintine tank it would of been better to lose one early than let them all be affected and possibley lose them all.

I have kept fish for a while and never had so many problems as I have with this set up which is why I blew the last of my savings on a new larger set up and Im now trying to save for all the best stuff in advance so I can hopefully prevent anything like this in the future.

If I have any friends left on here would somebody give me advice on setting up the quarintine tank Its a small half hex betta tank, I have a small heater and a very small internal or small air pump I can add plus a bit of gravel.

Tropical fish is the wrong hobby for you if you can't afford the basic necessities and for me, medication is a necessity.

Sometimes circumstances change and people are faced with tough decisions. Please don't judge until you have been in their shoes. Denzil even says that he can't work at the moment because of bad knees.

Denzil, well done on getting the quarantine tank, I hope you can save the fish. Just set it up like any other tank, but add filter media of your current filter. This will be a great advantage. Check the water daily and make sure the stats are fine, if not you need to perform frequent water changes. Hopefully, as it is a small tank, it won't be too difficult for you. While it is cycling you might have to change the water daily, but I am sure it will be worth it. Don't give up, try first and hopefully all will be better soon.

That's like saying you should get rid of your dog because you are broke this month. Most people would think that is ridiculous.

I was just trying to help you diagnose what was wrong. I was under the impression you were trying to get help. Or were you just trying to ruffle some feathers?

That's like saying you should get rid of your dog because you are broke this month. Most people would think that is ridiculous.

I was just trying to help you diagnose what was wrong. I was under the impression you were trying to get help. Or were you just trying to ruffle some feathers?

I disagree with this completely. As far as you're aware, Denzil isn't able to work at the minute, keep his family afloat (financially) and still have a hobby (by sacrificing one fish to save the others, thankfully he's been granted access to a hospital tank) to use as some escapism. I don't want to make assumptions about your lifestyle but until you've been in a financially desperate situation yourself and not be able to access anything of much use (ie: meds for fish) - believe me, I can empathize with people in that situation - you should not and cannot make a statement like you have done. It's unfair. Denzil is probably doing the best he can at the minute, cut the guy some slack.

You didn't read my statement correct. Have another go. I was sticking up for the OP, but I also think the OP is irresponsible for jumping to euthanization before getting a diagnoses.

I HAVE been in this situation, I am currently treating a mysterious parasitic infection that was introduced after my fishless cycle...$200 of meds later and still need a different med. Then we were victims of identity theft have left us with a negative bank balance and a lot of struggling to get by. My fish aren't being treated properly until next week when we are reimbursed as I only had enough meds to treat one tank.

Don't be such a hot head and take a second to comprehend what you are reading.

Most reactions

Back