Shop With Largest/widest Selection

Wildwoods in Enfield for me, though i havent had the pleasure of visiting Wharf as its a bit out of my range but i've heard good things about them too.
The aquatics bit in Chessington garden centre (near the Chessington world of adventures theme park) has some nice/unusual stock in from time to time but the staff are mostly idiots so dont expect much in the way of advise or help.

I have three favourites, it's either Maidenhead Aquatics at Polhill Garden Centre, or Birchwood in Swanley/Keston Aquarium (both in partnership) - all have fantastic selections of fish and are very very helpful/knowledgeable.

You cannot be too far from me KimA, I went the new Maidenhead shop the other day and was VERY impressed.
I am going there this afternoon as it goes, To have a look and buy a few bits, You know how it is. :D

I like Wildwoods as well, I may even take a trip over as well as Maidenhead at Polhill.

does anyone know any desent locals near me? i like in hartshill,stoke-on-trent the only one that i have heard of is Glovers but i havn't found the time to visit GCSE's n all

I have a poly box so I put everything I can put in the box I do (ALL fish and some plants, etc to bulk it up and pack it tight!) Then I put the box in the boot and the fish are always fine when I get home.
I think that helps to back up the fact that the fish are healthy!!
Wolf, I may indeed come over next time I'm Dartford way!! Should be in the next few weeks as I need to do my next big shop soon! (I'll bring photos of penguins!!)

Hi

I lived in Ilford/Essex about seven years ago and used to go to to Wildwoods in Enfield, Terrys in Bethnal Green and Tranquility in Chadwell Heath. I live in Leicester now and the selection in good LFS isn't that great. Wharf Aquatics in Nottingham are good and also Maidenhead Aquatics at Woodland Nurserys in Stapleton are good. I am coming up to London (Essex) next weekend and want to spend a few days visiting LFS. Which Lfs in your opinion should I put on my list to visit ???

Any Londoners
There used to be ( at least seven years ago) a great Aquatic Centre in Elephant & Castle. Anybody knows what happened to that ??

Thanks

Sabby

how about you Wolf?
which fish shop would you recommend?

Whilst Swallows have a good selection and nice healthy tanks,
I have found their staff somewhat lacking in knowlage,
Same goes for Maidenhead aquatics in pollhill (MH tend to be a bit on the pricy side).
I have used them and will proberbly use them again, so I guess that is a recomendation.

I love Wildwoods (enfield) and wholesale tropicals (bethnal green)

I work in Aylesford aquatics so can personaly vouch for staff knowlage (not just my knowlage but all staff)
and cleanlyness of tanks and health of stock. (I could be biased though :p )
Actually I was a customer there long before asking for a job, even when I worked in another lfs, I still brought fish from Aylesford.

Sarah; PM me next time you are comming down this way,
love to meet up again and to see the Penguin pics :good:

Wharf Aquatics in Pinxton derby/nottingham

it is brilliant thanks to alfie i would of never of known about this place ,,
the fish are amazing and well looked after ..
the best place i have ever been and i go regular infact ive been today hahahahah :good:

My lfs is a 5 minuite walk from home. How lucky i am! I go all the time! They dont have a huge variety, but have excellent healthy fish. And its close!

I'm another one for wildwoods a relatively short journey for me but there’s no such thing as a quick visit between them & the other shops (including a maidenhead) close by you definitely have to set aside a good few hours :drool: :D

I really don't rate Swallows. I live near the Rayleigh one which is huge (Their main one IIRC), but the actual diversity of fish they stock is pretty dissappointing. On the FW side they have little more exciting than livebearers and corries with the occasional cypranid shark.

The only other fish they seem to get in are RTC and Clown Knives.

The marine side is ok with some good stuff, though their two largest display tanks are pretty bad. The FW has a RTC in a tank that has a footprint no bigger than 6x5 (and the cat is now a little over 2 feet) and the marine display has a Leopard (or tesselated) moray which can end up huge, as in needing 1000 gallon tank huge (10 feet is attainable in the wild).

It used to stock some interesting fish, but it seems that rather than educating the staff about more fish, they just cut back to the bog standard fish.

Furthermore, I find a lot of the staff are either dismissive, or boorish, in their approach to handing out information.

I am becoming more impressed with Wickford Aquatics as it has a huge diversity in fish and has some real rare things, though it does also have a tendancy to stock Mbu puffers and RTC, though some of the customers do have huge tanks (one has an 8x3x3 and another one around 15x6).

Sadly the best one round here for FW - Shotgate - shut down last year due to the rising water costs. Thankfully I have a good relationship with a small independant one near me and he will go to the wholesalers and try and get whatever I want.

I've been to some of the big names mentioned in this thread, Wildwoods, Wharf Aquatics and Wholesale Tropicals. I've found all of them to be great, but for me it's either Wharf or Wholesale trops that is really nearing the best stores I've been to. Great looking tanks full of healthy fish, alongside knowledgable staff.

Wildwoods is great for those with big tanks, but as a small tank owner, it didn't have so much to offer me on the day I went.

Most reactions

Back