Sharks

IMHO, i wouldn't put an RTS/RTBS in anything less than a 3ft long 30gal tank. Rainbow and red tail sharks are quite active fish and grow to a pretty large size too (5-6inches long), the more length and width to your tank the better.

lol about what most of us have said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMHO, i wouldn't put an RTS/RTBS in anything less than a 3ft long 30gal tank. Rainbow and red tail sharks are quite active fish and grow to a pretty large size too (5-6inches long), the more length and width to your tank the better.

lol about what most of us have said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well most people seem to be going on about gallons/litres here, few are mentioning that the actual length and width of the tank is often the most important aspect when it comes to stocking fish like sharks. A 30gal tank could come in a variety of dimensions, but its making sure that its at least 3ft long which is really important when it comes to rainbow and red tailed sharks. With bala sharks, i wouldn't put them in anything less than 5ft long and 2ft wide.

either way you have beaten youself not me :)
Not quite.

I read boboboy's post as pointing out that relying on one site for information is far from wise as many sites have inaccuracies.

The point about averaging over google and forums is better. If the same information is posted in a number of different places from a number of different sources then it is more likely to be correct.

Until you have provided more details on your magazine information, your statement is a single piece of prose which is at odds with most people's experiences. I am not saying yours is wrong, but I do think you are intentionally mis-representing what boboboy has written in an attempt to sound like you are arguing in a clever way.

The first narcy response by Katchan is a mystery to me.

One can hardly say you haven't responded in kind, but the crux of the argument is on the keeping of the fish, and I see little in the advice you have given that is inflammatory. The first instance of name calling was by Katchan, perhaps you shouldn't have responded in kind?

However, I did not earn the title "a bully" by collecting stamps for Blue Peter, so I am far from the best judge on this.

Getting slightly back on topic, I find the easiest way to control my rainbow sharks aggression is to have him in with a number of doradids who soon point out just how weak the shark is compared to their "armour". Poor thing didn't know what to do when he first came up against them. They don't move for anything and go where they want.

Yea, the minimum size tank for a redtail black shark would be a 55g, imo. Maybe a 40g breeder.

I must disagree here, My first tank a 20gallon high I had a very happy 5"+ adult RTBS happily in with an angel, swardtail, 5" bristlenose, neons, 1 khuli loach and an albino cory. The tank was purchased 2nd hand with stock (had been set up that way for a more than a few months) and we left it that way for another month at least, no dramas were had with the red tail in ths tank, which it goes to show the minimum tank size stated on more than site for red tails is right at 20gallon, I think they are definetly happier in a 30 though. And I wont go into multi shark tanks here...

Andrew

That's based upon my own experiences and what I feel the fish' needs are.

I respect your opinion and understand before I post that I'm in the minority with the minimum size for a rtbs but that's what I honestly feel. I'm not saying that's the way it is or that I'm right and anyone who thinks differently is wrong when I post, just trying to help. :)

I have removed a number of off topic posts from this thread. If I see any more, there will be suspensions.

Most reactions

Back