Shark Tank

Stingray12

Reaction score
I really want to get a shark tank at the end of this summer. Im only 14 but I experienced with saltwater. The promblem is cost. I will have 3500-4000 and the tank, tops and lights will cost me 1060.(tank 300 gallon). Now I was thinking about keeping a bamboo shark and some eels and other fish and maybe a ray. Would it be possible to do this with around 3800 bucks w/ upkeep. What kind of filtration would be cheapest and sufficient. Any suggestions on tankmates?

chepaest filtration and shark tanks equals dead sharks.

You would need a fair amoutn of live rock, a very large skimmer and probably an earthing probe. On top of this you want a lot of swimming room in the tank making sump or external filtration very desired.

If you are serious about wanting a shark tank, look into Scott Micahel's book "Sharks and Rays for the Aquarium"

I guess im thinkin to big. I could afford it but with upkeep its going to be tough and I need some money for me. I guess I will either go with a fw stingray tank or a predator salt tank.

a major problem arrises with mixing rays into the equasion with a tank filterd with liverock. Rays need bare and sady botoms. If you can house a sump and keep all the liverock in here then it wold be better.. then of course you are looking at a bare tank with no aquascaping so the choice is yours

I will be doing a fw ray tank or this or i can just skip the shark and go with a 240? But my major question is will I have enough money for the shark tank(no ray). I will have about 3800 bucks and tank and lights will cost me around 1070(300gallon) and i can get around 350 ls of live sand for around 325.
I also need enough money for upkeep and a little free spending money. i can get salt for like 40 for a 160 gallon so that will be not to bad.

Most reactions

Back