Sexing My Gouramies

d3tained

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey all.

Well I got 2 Dwarf Gouramis ( Red colored ones, Red Robin ) which I dont know the sexes off.The LFS told me that it can be anything they cant tell with them so far.The fish is in tip top shape and the LFS I buy at really have a passion for fishkeeping.

My questions is the following.

One Gourami is a bit smaller but more brigter red while the other one a bit bigger but less red.They stay together most of the time and they will HUG ( Swim close together and will then just move at the same time , very romantic ) each other and keep on feeling each other with there teticals ( hehe )

What one earth are they ding?They are very friendly to my other fish although they have choose there sot in the tank where there is nice hiding spaces.

According to what I have noticed what could the sexes be?

THX ALL!

Hiya

There are 3 ways to tell the sex of Gouramis.

1, The male is a little bigger than the female.
2, The male has more colouring than the female... they look 'prettier'
3, The easiest way... The males top fin goes into a point, the females is rounded.

Sounds very much like you have one male and one female. Usually the same sex dont do that... never know might be having babies soon lol.. ;)

Hope this helps

I'd guess at your having to males.

Females are very rarely brightly colored. A photo would help. You can't use size with fish that aren't fully grown and the same may apply to fins but I would still look at your fish and, if the anal and dorsal fins are 'bulbous' in appearance and extend backwards, towards the tale, the fish are undoubtedly male.

BTW, those 'tentacles' are modified ventral fins :) They not only feel things - they are also used to literally 'taste' things :p They come in very useful in the wild if the water's not very clear or light levels are low.

The behaviour you described is normal for gouramies that have just beena dded to a tank. They are still nervous and need time to settle down. Until then, they'll be relatively social with each otehr and could act shy and have a poor appetite.
If they are male, however, they will in time set up territories and even fight on occasion. If your tank is large enough (ie: at least 20 gallons), you shouldn't have any serious problems but, in a smaller tank, the more dominant (typicaly the larger) male could harass the male to the point where the stress leads to illness.
If you have a male/female pair, the male will soon start chasing your female around and you should work out what sex they are now and buy yourself another girl before they've settled in. That way, the male won't have just one female to focus on and his chasing will be devided between the two - meaning that neither gets overly-stressed. If you are familiar with guppies, you'll be aware of the same sort of principle that's used when keeping a mixed group of guppies (1 male needs to have at least 2 females).
If you have two females, you are in luck because aggression will be limmited to hierarchy establishing and some chasing - particularly at feeding time. However, you wouldn't have the same bright male colors.

Like I said before, a picture would be hugely useful.

Hi.

Thx for the repleys.Dont have pictures at the moment.

Well looking at them I can tell 1 is defn male as its brightly colored but the other one is not.

I went out and got anotehr one that I can say is defnt female is she is very grey and smaller with a more fem looking body.

I will just have to wit and see what they do.Sofar the 2 first ones are settled in and seems to be doing very well, Always together aswell as with the new one now.

THX AGAIN!

Most reactions

Back