Sexing Moonlight Gourami

Ragtatter

Reaction score
A LFS near my house carries Moonlight Gourami, and I would love to add a trio of them to my 65-gallon. I want to get a male and two females, but there's a slight problem.

According to my book on aquarium fish, you can sex moonlight gouramis based on the color of their pelvic fins (red in males, yellow in females). All of the fish at the store are just under 2", and their pelvic fins are all white.

Does anyone know a good way to sex not-quite-full-grown Moonlight Gouramis?

A LFS near my house carries Moonlight Gourami, and I would love to add a trio of them to my 65-gallon. I want to get a male and two females, but there's a slight problem.

According to my book on aquarium fish, you can sex moonlight gouramis based on the color of their pelvic fins (red in males, yellow in females). All of the fish at the store are just under 2", and their pelvic fins are all white.

Does anyone know a good way to sex not-quite-full-grown Moonlight Gouramis?

I think the males have a more pointed dorsel fin but i dont know when it develops

Try looking at them from above - the wider ones are female. This isn't entirely accurate with younger fish but it could help. You could always get 5 and let them grow out - you are bound to have at least 2 females and a male and you can return the surplus later.

Most reactions

Back