Sexing Mollies

newtothis26

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am askin this question as I have a mollie and the belly seems dropped and as I am new to breeding, I don't know whether the mollie is male or female. I have been told it is something to do with their fins, but what? Plus I have also been told, that females have a more rounded belly, is this true? Thanks

http://tinypic.com/r/2ur1b8n/5

2ur1b8n.jpg

the anal fin on female livebearers is shaped like a small fan and males have a gonopod which is more pointy. from the pic it looks like you have a female fish there.

You definitely have got a very pregnant female molly. A females lower fins look like open fans whereas a male is more pointed. She looks like she could be dropping soon keep an eye out for a white ball near her anal fin. I have a black molly who gave birth a few weeks ago to 38 fry and shes looking much like my molly did. Good luck thats a beautiful fish you got there.

Sexing mollies is easily done. They sex the same way as most common livebearers that you will run across at the Local fish shop. I( have pictures of somewhat less common fish that can show the difference easily. Once you have seen the difference you will be able to reliably sex common livebearers for yourself.

This is a picture of a male of a particular species that you may not often see in a shop but it shows the sex clearly. Note the shape of the anal fin, the one right next to where the fish eliminates its waste. On the male it is long and thin and is used much like the sex organ of a mammal to impregnate the female. That fin shape is called a gonopodium.
MaleCourt_640.jpg

This is a female of the same species. She is showing the typical fan shaped (or triangular shaped) anal fin of a female.
Female3_640.jpg

The typical molly expresses their gender in the same fashion as these golden teddies.

To tell males and females apart is simple...

This is a male, with a gonopodium (near the anal area which is circled in the pic).

800px-Black_Molly_3_Male.jpg

And this is a female (she has a anal fin (which is squared in the pic)

13047d1224717226-do-fish-get-fat-111molly.jpg

Thank you so much, I can definately say I have 3 females and 3 males now, thanks again! I am really confused as I thought she was pregnant and she has got a white spot near her anal fin, but I have got up this morning and her belly doesn't look as big as all the other pregnant mollies on here? But she is only young, she was a one and only surviving fry from one of my very first fish I bought? Please help, how long do they have the white spot for? And I see you all saying that they drop again in another4-6 weeks a bit longer for a mollie I understand but no more than 8 Weeks? How many times do they drop then? And do you really think she is pregnant from the pic above? If so, how far gone? And what is the term time for a fish? Thanks

Is seems like other than the Black Molly type, the males are generally larger than the female.

Sexing mollies is easily done. They sex the same way as most common livebearers that you will run across at the Local fish shop. I( have pictures of somewhat less common fish that can show the difference easily. Once you have seen the difference you will be able to reliably sex common livebearers for yourself.

This is a picture of a male of a particular species that you may not often see in a shop but it shows the sex clearly. Note the shape of the anal fin, the one right next to where the fish eliminates its waste. On the male it is long and thin and is used much like the sex organ of a mammal to impregnate the female. That fin shape is called a gonopodium.
MaleCourt_640.jpg

This is a female of the same species. She is showing the typical fan shaped (or triangular shaped) anal fin of a female.
Female3_640.jpg

The typical molly expresses their gender in the same fashion as these golden teddies.

Thank you so much, I can definately say I have 3 females and 3 males now, thanks again! I am really confused as I thought she was pregnant and she has got a white spot near her anal fin, but I have got up this morning and her belly doesn't look as big as all the other pregnant mollies on here? But she is only young, she was a one and only surviving fry from one of my very first fish I bought? Please help, how long do they have the white spot for? And I see you all saying that they drop again in another4-6 weeks a bit longer for a mollie I understand but no more than 8 Weeks? How many times do they drop then? And do you really think she is pregnant from the pic above? If so, how far gone? And what is the term time for a fish? Thanks

To tell males and females apart is simple...

This is a male, with a gonopodium (near the anal area which is circled in the pic).

800px-Black_Molly_3_Male.jpg

And this is a female (she has a anal fin (which is squared in the pic)

13047d1224717226-do-fish-get-fat-111molly.jpg

The white dot is mainly always there, if u read my pinned thread, it tells you that when the birthing tube open, another one appears like a ring inside a ring effect (its hard to see without a magnifying glass)..

If your fish has been well fed, dont be fooled by her belly size (mainly at the front) your more looking for a big drop in both front and back of the belly (squared off) this when they are close.

Most reactions

Back