Severum fry

the caretaker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
After about 20 attempts my 2 Green Severums have about 250 fry, do any of you know how i can seperate them and bring them on to a bigger size? please, any help would be fantastic.

From what I've heard, severums make great parents, so the fry should stay with the adults for a few weeks. (If the parents do decide to eat the fry, then it's best to move them) After the fry can eat crushed dry foods, move them to a growout tank :)

well, i suggest u leave them alone for a while. dont feed the parent fish anything for the time being, since they will not be interested in food for the next several days . uneaten food is an invitatiaon to disaster if the water fouls up....and any attempt to remove uneaten food will only upsets the parent fish more.

stay clear away from your tank for the next 9 days if u couldnt resist any temptations to give your fish a helping hand. they will take care of their fries by their own. what could be more easy that this :nod:

after 9 days ..remove the parent fish, and let the fries grow in this tank. u could remove the fries if u want and have them in another tank...but its hard work removing over 200 fries , especially if your tank has some sort of decorations in it.
from my experience...over 40% of the fries will die if
u remove them from their parent tank.

Well, not to be contradictory in a negative way, but my experience breeding and raising severums is somewhat different. I've never stopped feeding them and they have never stopped eating at any time. They even eat while in the process of laying eggs. They do make great parents, though often will eat the fry. Even after 5 years my old pair still eats them fairly regularly.

Most reactions

Back