Sev Tank Size

guidedbyechoes

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a breeding pair of sevs. But on the website live aquaria it says 30 gal minimum. Isn't that too small for fish that max out at 8 in?

A 55 gal would be perfect for a pair of sevs along with maybe a few dithers/bottom feeders. 30gal would be too cramped IMO.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I don't have room for another 55 :crazy: and I have a 30 gallon long 3ft and a 25 high 2 ft.

55g is well to small for a pair of adult sevs....go for 100 USG if not go with a diff fish.

55g is well to small for a pair of adult sevs....go for 100 USG if not go with a diff fish.

As much as I'm for the bigger the better I would say that 100G is overkill for a pair of fish thats not gonna get much more that 10".

100 Imperial Gallon maybe but not US gallon.

The point is...as soon as they breed they will kick chunks out of tank mates in a smaller tank...you need space for obvious reasons.....espech. if hes thinking about keeping other cichlids.

Plus its quite common they get to 12"+ my local maiden head has about 8 this size in a gigantic display with Arowans,Butterkoferi,Oscars,Jags,Sting Rays,RTCF,Tiger Shoval Nose and other stuff.

Plus the fact they get about 8" deep and 4" wide

im pretty sure the op was after species only tank for breeding sevs, not breeding sevs+other cichlids/fish

I was thinking about getting a breeding pair of sevs. But on the website live aquaria it says 30 gal minimum. Isn't that too small for fish that max out at 8 in?

yeah that is way to small. i would say for a breeding pair you are looking at a very minimum of 70 gal.

Most reactions

Back