Setting Up Tank, Need A Good Test Kit, Any Suggestions ?

My computer said that web page couldn't be found...it's prob just my stupid computer, though!

What you need is Liquid kits....NOT the dip strips.

And it needs to include ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph! Those are the most important for starting a new tank!

Looks good, but I don't know that you'd use all of it! I just bought an API test kit from pets at home (Shame on me, I know - but they're cheap for stuff like that) for 20 quid. It has the important tests such as: Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate, along with pH and a high range pH. In my old established tank, I rarely used any of those, unless I suspected there was something wrong.

I don't even know what the extra tests be used for! (And don't say determining the levels of iron, copper and carbonate!) Kinda curious if some-one could fill us in with regards to those kits!

The info from the site is.

Professional testing set with nine different water tests

This professional kit consists of nine different water tests for the serious aquarium or pond owner.
The following tests are included:

pH level
Water hardness
Carbonate level
Ammonia/ammonium level
Nitrite level
Nitrate level
Phosphate level
Iron level
Copper level

Its not the dip strips is it ?

Thanks

Copper
This heavy metal can come in with the tap water if you have older copper pipes. It can also get introduced to your tank if you've used any copper based medications. Copper can be very harmful to fish and invertebrates.

Phosphate
Phosphate can be introduced to your aquarium mainly from tap water, dead plants and fish food. High phosphate levels can cause algae outbreaks. There are products on the market to remove phosphates and you can do your part by keeping up with your aquarium maintenance and performing regular water changes. Saltwater reef tank keepers and freshwater plant keepers may want to invest in a Phosphate Test Kit.

Iron substrate and Peat that people use in planted tanks can release alot of iron that can cause algae problems.

i think they were liquid tests.

you know the obvious ones i.e. pH, Ammonia, NitrIte and NitrAte. these are the cornerstones. General hardness(Gh) is good to know but it's not as important as Carbonate hardness(kh). KH is the buffering capacity of the water. the lower your kh is, the easier it is to have pH swings and vice versa. if you have a high kh, your pH will generally be higher. either way kh is good to know.

Phosphate might be used for high-tech planted aquariums and the like but i might be wrong.

I've heard that some medications are copper based so maybe that's what the test is for. Or maybe for heavy metals.

Iron...i'm not sure but it might be similar to the copper test.

i'm sorry i could help more. i probably just told you stuff you already know

If you want. But most people don't need the additional tests and you're paying for them when you most likely won't need them.

I would get the Sera Aqua for 29.90 if I had to choose from those. Personally, I would look for an API Freshwater test kit. It's what I have. It's also what Sketchy said.

I use the high range PH for my African Cichlids, but you'll probably only use the regular PH.

Yes, as kj said, its just a question of whether that one is overkill. If you plan to attempt plantings in the more serious planted tank direction, it might be interesting to see some of those added tests, in which case it wouldn't be overkill.

I'm guilty of repeating the recommendation of the API Freshwater Master Test Kit so much it sounds like an ad, but really its just that so many here use it that it becomes also an easy communication between members. The other liquid reagent based ones with about the same tests (the essential ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and then 1 or 2 extras) are reported as just as good. And the strips seem to keep living up to their reputation as not worth the paper they are printed on time and again.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back