Setting Up Goldfish Tank - No Expierience

Seidge

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a spare tank i was thinking of starting goldfish tank. I currently have a tropical tank.

My question is, do i need to cycle the water in a cold water and and if i do can i use some water from my tropical tank? Also it is only a small tank about 3 gal at the most (goldfish bowl size). What goldfish can i put in this? Do i need a filter in such a small tank?

Yes they do as they are massive waste producers, and soon will come down with ammonia poisoning in that size tank, sorry.

Ginge there was no need to shout at the op :sly:

Seidge
unfortunately the "tank" is too small for any goldfish due to
the amount of space they need and the amount of ammonia they produce.

This pinned topic should explain things better
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=43980

your tank would be suitable for a single betta (siamese fighting fish)
but would require a heater.
and yes the tank could be seeded from your original tank.
there have been many topics on seeding/cloneing/cycling tanks,
so a search of the forums would be the place to start.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

if you cant keep fish in a tank this size why do they sell them. I kept fish in this tank when i was a kid for about 3 years :unsure:

I am confused

Since you have internet use this days members have learnt alot and you can't keep a goldfish in a bowl, they grow big, have no room to move might as well be in a shoe box, plus they create alot of waste, and a bowl is no life for a goldfish, trust me i have two and they are massive.

hmm ok wont set up goldfish, any ideas what i can do with it, i.e. possibly breed live foods? or grow plants or something for my tropical tank, i am sick of seeing it lying around i wanna put something in there that doesnt require a heater

if you cant keep fish in a tank this size why do they sell them.

the reason they sell them is to make money, they do not care for the poor fish.

I kept fish in this tank when i was a kid for about 3 years :unsure:

3 years out of a potential 40+year lifespan just proves the advice we have given you.

Recently Rome banned the sale of goldfish bowls, stating they are cruel
hopefully the rest of th world will soon follow suit and ban these things.

So if i put a male betta in there do i need a filter, i can prob handle buying a new heater cos they are quite cheap but dont think i can get a filter in there. If i dont use a filter what sort of water change routine will i need?

You can by them little sponge filter that run on a air pump not expensive, plus you will need a heater and they are not expensive either, as it's only a 3gal.

DO NOT use tht as a tank of any sort it is way to small the only thing wich i can think of it being gd to use for is fry or as a emergency emergency tank

Most reactions

Back