Setting Up A New Tank

conorandlucy

Reaction score
A few months back i posted that we were having issues with fish being chased and harassed. We were advised to get a bigger tank.

So we have now upgraded to a 175 litre Seashell Elite tank. We have a fluval 205 filter, a heater and lights. We have a fine pebble gravel and nothing else.

There are no plants yet and definitely no fish.

What i want to know now is, whats the next step? The tank has water but nothing else.

Any help appreciated.

Conor and Lucy

Hi. First you can get the filter running and the water up to temperature. You can also decorate the tank as you wish. Once all that has happened, if you are using new filter material you need to decide whether you are going to do a fishless cycle, or are going to cycle with fish. If you decide to go fishless, then it will take a while before you'll need fish. If you decide to cycle with fish, then you need to research what you want, decide if they are compatible, then only buy a couple of the hardiest ones and put them in the tank. Test the water often, like daily and do water changes if needed.

I am in similar situation, I am going to decorate/aquascape as I want to, then I am going to plant the tank and get CO2 running, then get the filters and heater going to get the tank up to optimum usage. I will then be transferring the fish from my old tank. I am using the filter from my old tank in new tank aswell as the one supplied so the bacteria will spread through the tank. If this is not an option then read post above.

hope this helps

Hi. First you can get the filter running and the water up to temperature. You can also decorate the tank as you wish. Once all that has happened, if you are using new filter material you need to decide whether you are going to do a fishless cycle, or are going to cycle with fish. If you decide to go fishless, then it will take a while before you'll need fish. If you decide to cycle with fish, then you need to research what you want, decide if they are compatible, then only buy a couple of the hardiest ones and put them in the tank. Test the water often, like daily and do water changes if needed.

We already have a few fish in the old tank.

2x clown Loaches
1x ruby shark
2x Neon Tetra
2x Opaline Gourami
1x Platy
1x bristlenose

Would these be okay to put it to start?

You need to get really hardy fish to cycle a tank. Most of the fish you have would probably not survive a cycle and if they did they wouldn't be healthy afterwards.

Danio's are good for cycling - I have cycled two tanks with them now with no losses.

you should just fishless cycle it. don't put your fish through that. Also, i have heard fishless cycling is faster, is that true?

You could put your new filter into your old tank and run it alongside your old filter for a week. This will clone the bacteria colony into your new filter and you will be able to move all of your fish into the new tank straight away.

Also, i have heard fishless cycling is faster, is that true?

Most will say yes, but remember that experiences differ.

I cycled my tank with 5 Danios and the cycle was complete in 2 weeks. People on here told me that it wasn't possible that my tank had cycled that quickly, but the test kits proved them wrong! I only added 2/3 fish at a time, once a month until my stock was full and I have never experienced a deadly Ammonia/Nitrite spike.

Adam

Hi. If you are using your old filter and media on the new tank then i would transfer the fish over. If you've got a new filter, then do as above and run the new one and the old one on the new tank for a while. Don't get any new fish for the time being, and test the water every day or every other day for ammonia and nitrite. If you find levels of 0.25ppm or more then change some water to bring them back down to zero. If you monitor the water to ensure ammonia and nitrite don't get too high the fish will be ok.

Most reactions

Back