Setting Up A Big Chiclid Tank

yes they do love to dig in fact when you have done your setup and done the cycling and added your fish over the next few days you will find bald spots in your sand lol as the females lay there eggs on flat surface so are you putting ocean rock or slate in there with them

if im carefull doing my substrate change i shouldnt need to do a full cycle as the tank has fish in at the mom but they should all be going in the next two days to leave me 1 bristlenose called blondie who will go in my unfillterd spare tank with a lot of gravel and new ro for a day or two while i swap over the substrate and use mussels to keep the tank reasonabley mature and i will thenb add in my frends common untill i think the tank is ready for a full malawi setup but i guess im gona have to really overfeed
i will use a cheap tank safe stones that ic an find from a builders merchant

i wudnt really use stones from a builders many people do but im not 1 i think the ocean rock is perfect for immataiting there natural enviroment but hey its your tank mate

i wudnt really use stones from a builders many people do but im not 1 i think the ocean rock is perfect for immataiting there natural enviroment but hey its your tank mate

i will probally price up ocean rock but i think it will be too much cash as im after a new light rig as well as all my fish and everything ellse for about £600 and i think im gonna need at least 200kg aparently?

so if i can buy the same amount of something else suitable for a quarter of the price i have got to go for it

yeah you have a big tank to fill but it will be worth it how bout half and half real ocean rock and there is the fake stuff too

i havent seen any fake stuff but my instincts tell me to avoid it after the last incident i bought a boat when i first started and it started flaking after a few months but i will have a look about

well good look with hope you enjoy them as much as i do mate

what sort of rock could i use as i am going to a building suplie center tommorow

You can use pretty much what you want with african cichlids, just avoid anything with obvious metal deposits or rust.

Limestone is great if you can get it as it will leach calcium into the tank and help buffer your PH. :good:

had a llok in the builders merchants and i think judging by the weight of the slabs that i am going to have to reinforce the cabinet or get a new one :(

Most reactions

Back