Specifications: 

arrow4.gif

Model: LZ-2000
arrow4.gif
 8 x 30w White T8 Lighting
arrow4.gif
 120L/H Filtration (19w)
arrow4.gif
 2 x 2000EF+ External filters (2000L/H Models with 9w UV)
arrow4.gif
 785L Volume Capacity
arrow4.gif
 Dimensions: 2029(L) x 600(W) x 850(H)mm
arrow4.gif
 Cabinet Dimensions: 2029 x 600 x 695 mm
arrow4.gif
 Glass thickness: 15mm
arrow4.gif
 Free 12 Month Warranty

so my question to you amazing people is how would i sape this tank, with plants, and ocean rock for a bichir tank witha few other preditory fish
i will be using flourite fish tank substrate which will be then covered by about 1 inch of sand so the plants can grow well and the bichirs are safe on sand
any ideas for plants, tank mates and/or other ornimants, the fist inhabitants will be 2 segnal bichirs, the size they'll be at is  dependednt on how fast they grow in their current tank

I would leave the ocean rock out.

I'm sorry I didn't answer this sooner 'cause I am really not sure what type of lighting that is considered and so not sure on what plants to suggest.

For some hardy low light plants though: Amazon sword, certain aponogeton, anubias, java fern, bolbitis, cryptocorynes, vallisneria, anacharis/elodea, dwarf sagittaria, dwarf water lettuce.
There are more I'm just drawing a blank
smile.png

I would have some driftwood and caves. For tank mates I'd get more bichirs. These are ones I'd pick from: Palmas palmas, palmas buettikoferi, palmas polli, retropinnis, mokelembembe.
You could probably do lower jaws but they might pick on or eat the upper jaws or other fish you may want to add to the tank so that is why I wouldn't go with them.

For some other tank mates perhaps a knife such as the african brown (xenomystus nigri) or brown ghost knife (apteronotus leptorhynchus).

If you plan on upgrading further in the future then a black ghost knife would be another option.
It is not always the best idea to get a fish that will outgrow your tank so seriously consider if/when you'd be able to upgrade if you go with the black ghost.

A single leopard bushfish (ctenopoma acutirostre) or a group of 3+ of them would also be lovely. All of these fish aren't exactly colorful but they are brimming with personality and a treat to have.

I have a journal of my 129 HERE which has or will have similar fish (bichirs will be the last addition so the other fish don't get eaten). Perhaps it will give you some ideas? :)

On top of what ninj said, i personally wouldnt get any lower jaw species as they get VERY large, look at your an entire arm and imagine a fish, thats how big lower jaws get and im not joking.  It will take up a lot of space, and lower jaws have been known to eat tank mates that are kind of on the small side.

Your tank should however be big enough for some tuegelsi, or ornatipinnis bichirs, also delhezis, and ropefish/reedfish are quite common on the aquarium trade and can go in the your tank as well, all the others ninj mentioned above :D

Tank mates, I have mine with all sorts of fish, ill just list them so you can get an idea, nandus nandus, nandus nebulous, angelfish, geophagus (3 different species), L114, hybrid synodontis, peacock eels, pearl gouramis, red severum, and a elephant nose fish. They will also be going with some spotted gars but these unfortunately grow to large for your tank. 

I personally would avoid hard, sharp decorations, and stick to sand, driftwood, plants (artificial/real), and pvc pipes. 

Any other questions and we would be happy to answer, you can also go back to my comment on your other thread i went pretty deep in detail on polypterus haha

Oh yes I forgot the ropefish! While they get rather large I think their mouths are much smaller than the other bichirs and they're quite peaceful. Very neat fish.

I'm not disagreeing entirely but I would not go with the ornate either since they also don't mind snacking on tankmates.
Most bichirs will though (if it fits it's food) just the ornate gets bigger than the other upperjaws. Not sure on the teugelsi, I think I'd have to get one if I had a tank of your size (they're my favorite).

I'd go with Saw on these though as he actually has them and I don't.

Oh another thing..with your substrate, I would go with a dark one (such as black) as this will bring out the upperjaw's coloration a lot more than a lighter sand would.

O yea thanks ninj forgot about black substrate, it compliments upper jaw bichirs better. 

About the ornate, i say this because they are generally more laid back, but tbh can be aggressive during feeding time to other bichirs, also they are a little less optimistic about taking down fish that dont fit in their mouths from my experience. 

Tuegelsi get quite long and quite beautiful, and have the mouth size of a normal senegalus bichir, while they still get quite bulky though. I didnt mention weeksii, because im just going to be honest their mouths are HUGE, bigger than or equal to the size of their body no joke.

Tuegelsi and moke are by far my favorite as well, and dream bichir will be forever platinum senegal. 

If you do get ropefish, then i would recommend getting 2-4, they are very social and dont always feel the same way with just ordinary bichirs and can get very "lonely" and be less likely to eat from my experience on multiple occasions. 

thanks guys, i saw some fully grown ornates for about £40 each but i disscussed with the owners of the pet shop (not an lfs a random petshop) to sell me both adults for £50 good deal or not?

Well i would say yes, i usually get a grown ornate for 60 USD each.

Most reactions

Back