Set Up And Cycling Of Brakish Tank. How Much Salt?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wend

Reaction score
Hi. Im going to being cycling my brakish tank today.

However I dont know how much salt to put in. After doing some reading about 2 wks ago I popped in a good teaspoon of natural salt.

Im sure it gets way much more scientific than that. Any idiot proof advice for acheiving the correct salinity? (please assume I am very stupid :lol: )

Tank is approx 2/3 full so I reckon about 20 litres.

However I dont know how much salt to put in. After doing some reading about 2 wks ago I popped in a good teaspoon of natural salt.

Im sure it gets way much more scientific than that. Any idiot proof advice for acheiving the correct salinity? (please assume I am very stupid :lol: )

I would cycle at the salinity that you're aiming for. You will need marine salt to make brackish water and you are better off buying a hydrometer to measure the salinity. Pre-mix the salt in a bucket of water to achieve the correct salinity and then add it to the tank.

You may already know this but you need an ammonia source to cycle.

I would cycle at the salinity that you're aiming for. You will need marine salt to make brackish water and you are better off buying a hydrometer to measure the salinity. Pre-mix the salt in a bucket of water to achieve the correct salinity and then add it to the tank.

You may already know this but you need an ammonia source to cycle.

Yep Im good thanks, got ammonia and ready to go. Also the tank had two red crabs live and die in it a week ago, and some leftover food, so we are off to a good start. - well obviously a bad start as the poor critters died, but now Im on the right track I hope.

Most reactions

Back