Seperate Guppy Breeding Tank or Not

Should i I let my female guppies give birth in the frynet, or another tank?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fry Net/Community Aquarium

• Total voters

Zorak

Reaction score
Ok I have a 25 tall with 4 males and 9 females, i have a good amount of rocks and plants including live moss with plenty of hidind spaces. Some of my females look like they are very close to giving birth. I own a breeding net which was the largest availible. I also have a 15g that is currently empty that i could very easily convert into a fry tank, but at the same time with so many females i could see that tank filling very quickly. My question is for people who have had success in breeding with similar conditions and what tricks there are to allow fry to mature into adulthood. I plan to sell mature guppies to my LFS and also feed some to my cichlids.

If you want a lot to survive, I'd say go for the fry tank. If you want some to survive, and do more a 'survival of the fittest', I'd leave them in the tank.

If you have 9 females, you are going to have a LOT of fry. You could quickly fill up the fry tank with babies, and then they'll have another round of fry. I'd say your best bet, so you do not get totally over-run, is to leave the females in the tank, and let them give birth in the tank. It sounds like you have a lot of hiding places, so chances are some will survive.

I, personally, have done it both ways. Currently I am trying to get more hardiness in the Guppy breed, so I seperate my fry, and grow them out in fry tanks. It's basically needed so I can see which females and males are going to be the best to carry on with.

I have also raised Guppies in a community tank, with some results. I've had about 20 Guppies grow up in community tanks.

So basically, it's up to you. :thumbs:

(Yeah, I know...this post was so helpful...you're just back where you started. Sorry. :whistle: )

I think what i might do is pay attention to my females and the ones who provide the best fry might end up being moved into the 15. One question; what is the best way to move fry from one tank to the other with as little stress as possible?

I have also raised Guppies in a community tank, with some results. I've had about 20 Guppies grow up in community tanks.
How long did that take and what quality were they?

How long did it take...until what? Full grown? Mature? What?

As for quality...I'm guessing you mean like breeding quality? Probably about 6-9 on a scale of 1-10...nothing worse then I'd get with fry tanks. I mean...same genetics...how different can it be... -_-

The best way to move them, in my opinion, is to use a small bag, like you get from your fish store, and put them in there with water from the tank they came in. Then, just do the regular acclimating steps you do for regular fish...float bag...add a little water...pour some out...add more water. DO NOT rush this though, as fry are very sensitive. Or, you could also do the drip method.

when i said how long did it take i meant to ask how long did it take to end up with 20 extra adults, or how many groups of fry until 20 "survivors" reach maturity

6 months? Maybe a year.

Keep in mind, I also had a community tank with Loaches, and other fish. If you have just Guppies, this will happen a lot quicker. Some Guppies don't even eat any of their fry, I have a few of mine like that. I have to say, I like the using a fry tank better, as I can see any problems quickly, and treat. And I can see who's going to be like what. :) I have since converted my small scale Guppy breeding to all fry tanks.

Would having so many fry make my tank more succeptable to disease or problems since the fry are fragile?

Only if there is bad water quality. However, I would recommend not trying to squish a lot of fry into a tank, as there can be problems with this. I've heard of stunting, and deformities, though this has never happened to me. Maybe seperate some, and leave some in?

how can i feed the fry while they are in the community tank???

Just the normal way you'd feed any other fish, except you have to crush it up very small. Fry are pretty smart...they'll figure out there is food, especially if some of it sinks. Of course, you can't guarantee they will get any, which is why most people use fry tanks or Breeder nets.

how long can i safely leave them in the net?

It depends on how many fry you have, and how fast they grow. Usually mine are in 2-3 months. Basically, when it's starts looking a little crowded, you should find another place for them, or if they are big enough, let them back in the tank. :)

Most reactions

Back