senegalus

bichir boi

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hey, how long does it take for them to become ful grown. My albino one is at 6inches or so how many and hw much shuld i feed it. I bought sum cockles are they ok and at wot size do they eat feeder fish....like gold fish...(if they do)

No need to feed any live food to these fish, in fact, feeding live feeder fish can introduce diseases. Our Birchirs (and we have a good range) all eat whitebait.
They are reasonably cheap to buy too.
Given a selection of foods (cockles, mussel,prawns) they always go for the whitebait first.
Clare

ok cool ive only fed it blood worms and prawns, bt im starting to feed it more of a a varied diet cause i want it 2 grow!! Feeding it river shrimp is cool. thx

beef heart makes em grow too. i feed mine frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp and beef heart. dont feed beefheart too much cuz they cant burn off the fat. too much fat in that stuff, but i think it would be good for little ones. my friend started feeding him beefheart and it grew very fast. its much bigger now then it was. i also feed mine freeze dried foods, cichlid pellets, baby shrimp, nd flakes. he eats flakes for some reason, only the red ones though :D
i love these fish, how big a tank will he go into?

Do not feed goldfish!! frozen bloodworm, mysis shrimp,krill and hakari predator
pellets. are all far better choices

genetics,temp and tank size and a good diet make bichirs grow, some will grow faster than others-Anne

My current birchir is about 8" long now and is fed on lance fish every other day, two seems about right for him and he happily hand feeds. Regarding tank size for a birchir, bigger is always better, if you can get larger than the recommended tank size, your pocket may not appreciate it but your birchir will!
Senegauls grow quite fast when young and slow as they get older (if looked after correctly) and 12" plus specimens are not uncommon.

Most reactions

Back