semper fi's fish

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

johanni females are hard to find. depends on the type of johanni that you have also. there are two strains of johanni. both are similar but come from different ends of the lake. the maingano strain is commonly referred to as the electric blue johanni. there colors are characteristically brighter and more vivid. the chisimula strain is not as vivid but colored the same. as true with most mbunas, the males and females are colored differently. the females are dull brown to gold in color and the males are black with the blue striping. since the males have the more desirable of the coloring, they are more commonly found in lfs. like all mbuna, the johanni is a harem breeder. they are intolerant of males if there are not enough females to go around. mbunas need at a minimum of three females for every male. your two johanni will keep on fighting until one is declared the dominant one. the other male will either be killed or bullied.

dg - that is a male chippokae, not an auratus. was comparing the coloring of the auratus to the chippokae since the two are often mistaken for each other in the female coloring. he is a wild caught.

gad - you are asking me about taking pics? all of mine come out horrible :crazy: these are the best of the bunch! but thanks for the compliment! :*)

semper fi

The strange thing is, Joe is the only one that Johan (was Joanne until recently) doesn't try to fight with. Joe ascerted dominence on day one and they haven't bothered with each other since. :huh:
I guess I'll have to look out for some females in my travels....and a maybe a new tank to put them and Joe into...hehehehe :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the info semper fi :thumbs: ...oh as you probably saw I think they are both maingano strain

hey no problem. the only dumb question is the one not asked. sometimes i get confusing when i try to write things down. thought that maybe i did not type what i was thinking. sometimes my fingers have a mind of their own! :rolleyes:

semper fi

How big is your green terror? I'd love to have one, but no room for another tank :(

right now he is about 6" and starting to grow the cahungas to battle with the dempseys. that pic was taken when i first got him.

if you like the green terrors, you should check out the red terrors. would really love to get some of those. waiting for cichlidmaster to get some in stock.

http://www.jef-b.com/Cichlids/festae.htm

semper fi

Johanni :wub: Red zebra's very nice, too. :)

btw, it's the reverse w/ kennyi's... ;)

:D

some really nice fish there semper!
we have only just managed to get some good fotos of our fish - it always takes a lot of time, a good camera, and a lot of patience! :lol: lol

:thumbs:

Starry^

definatly not a good ad for sony. which mavica? I have taken some great shots with a friends. I guess the real question is how many megapixel? and does it have a nighttime setting? if so try using it with all othe lights out in the house. that is how I get all of my pics

:D

hey silver,

for the pic of our gourami in members aquarium pics, we used a 4mega pixel motorola digi cam(friends unfortunately not ours -_- ), which also takes up 2 5 mins worth of video, so we got some good footage of our fishies as well - (an excellent one of my loach doin his sucky thing with editing and music u can make awesome vids,its great!) to be posted soon...
Buds doin the fish site - so we will keep u guys postedd :D

:thumbs:

Starry^

4 Mega Pixels....WOW!!!! That thing must be awesome!!!!

*Drool....sighs......tears*

I want one right NOW!!!!

:-(
:-(
:grr:

Maybe someday,
Silver
:*

Most reactions

Back