Selliera Radicans (Swamp Mat)

KeithV

Reaction score
So I found this plant growing fully submerged at a local nursery.I think it usually grows only an inch or so submerged but I took a chance and used it.

Does anyone know anything about this plant?

I tried searching it out with little results? It's beautifull in the aquarium, but will it just die?

Any advice would be very welcome!
Selliera radicans.jpg

Do you know what it's called?

Selliera Radicans
Family: Goodeniaceae
Genus: Selliera
Species: radicans

It's found streamside and lakeside mostly, submerged up to about an inch or so in the wild.

Think it'll be okay submerged about 8 inches with T8 flora glow lights to make up for the light depth penetration ratio?

Sorry, so busy looking at the post I forgot the title...

I've not heard of it, but it looks great, i reckon it's worth trying...

Let us know how it goes. Is it expensive?

Only though would be maybe it'll need lots of light if it's normally near the surface.

I'll post an update in a few weeks...

It cost about 5£, ($7.50as I'm stateside now) which is more than the average plant at the lfs but I got much more plant for my money. On the tag was the name of an aquatic plant suplier out in the country. I've made my mind up to go visit the place and see what other kinds of plants they might sell that would be suitable for aquarium use. My thought is that it might be cheaper than going to my lfs, plus it's an adventure :) I'll let you know what I find...

does it look like this...

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/295754-tales-of-the-crypts-lljs-36g-low-light/page__st__60

page 4, fourth photo down?

does it look like this...

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/295754-tales-of-the-crypts-lljs-36g-low-light/page__st__60

page 4, fourth photo down?

That is Pellia (Monosolenium tenerum).

To the OP, I don't believe your plant should be submerged as it is supposed to grow on the edges of water areas. The leaves look far too thick and waxy. Try it in a shallow bowl filled with water but not enough to cover the plant. Then stick in on the window sill and see how it goes. I think it will just rot in the aquarium but feel free to see what happens.

Most reactions

Back