Selective Breeding Guppies

There's a section called journals and photographs I think, in the top of the livebearers section. Just start a topic there. A few of us have journals there. 

Maybe I will if I get a male or the females have fry. :)

I enjoyed looking at your (and others) stuff there.  It's fun to see progress. :)

Ny82 said:
I wasn't actually sure how it worked and I have breeding for almost 3 years now lol. I always thought that the female would store sperm from a previous male, if there was no male present, she could still have his babies but if there was another male, she would have his.
I put all mines together so don't know if she had his fry or some other males, I only had 1 male in the tank, when the fry were born they were all black, then turned into the ones I posted. There were 2 females, I think I have kept the other female with the cobra tails fry.
if a female guppy is impregnated  by 2 males she will produce some fry from both males

a tank of no less then 10 gallons it can hold up to 15- 20 guppies a ratio of I male - 2 females is  recommend also works with  pairs I  recommend keeping at least 4 pairs , if you are going to breed them you are going to need more tanks,  a temp- of 72f-74f is best for the fish  a well planted tank water changes 40-50 % a week is all that is needed. some live foods should be feed in there diet

They go mad for brine shrimp-take it from your hand! My fry are not scared when I put my hand in they think they are being fed shrimp and come right over lol. 

brine shrimp is the best fry food can be feed daily for the first 2 or 3 weeks make sure to rinse of the salt it can affect the fry

DiddleBug said:
There were 6 or 7 males in the tank at the LFS.
tongue2.gif
 I guess we will Never know who the father is

I should know to an extent.  There was only one snake skin and only one orange.  There were a few blacks and black and reds.  :) They should be cute though. :)

you have your female guppy take the fry from them and breed from the best ones,  out crossing them can make things worse

Selective Breeding Guppies is more about breeding with the stock that you already have,

So like breed the fry of one female with the fry from a different one?  

no breed from same brood brother to sister to fix a stran/ colour inbreeding is not a problem
[SIZE=medium] I have been breeding  inbreeding guppy’s /Livebearers  for 30 years , within the first few years I got up to 30 tanks and soon after I had 60 tanks and  I wished  I stopped at 60 tanks, I now have more fish tanks than most  people have fish [/SIZE]

Most reactions

Back