seff-serve fish tanks

kaley822

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
has anyone else seen those self serve deals in pet stores? There's this one neer me that has a whole wall of fish and they have nets and bags out and you "serve yourself" the fish you want, buffet style. They have containers so you can put water in the bag, and then i guess they put the air in after, although i didnt see any place where they did that and nobody bought anything while i was there. None of the tanks had lids and the water was very high and it was kind of a stair shaped deal so fish could conceivible fall out into the next tank below.

There were all these kids playing around in the the tanks with the nets. Disaster waiting to happen, huh? Thats pretty much the worst set-up i've ever seen. I have never seen anything like that before, I'm trying to remember what the store was called, it was something goofy like pets plus or pets extra or something.... but thats not really the point, i just thought i'd share this bizarre new way of self-serve fish purchasing :blink:

that is really bad, what it should be is that if you want to catch the fish yourself so it doesnt get damaged, u can but with the employee beside u :blink:

Oh my... not a very good idea at all... What exactly does the LFS have to gain from that? Those poor fish are bond to get killed! :angry:

Yes but they're still paying their staff the same amount - it doesn't take very long for a staff member to catch a fish and the same number of them will be needed... Plus they're losing money off dead fish... I think it's just a realy pointless idea and whatever customers it manages to attract will be killing half their fish...

can you imagine the stress that thouse poor fish are going through with people just ramdomly gathering nets and trying to catch them?...not to mention children sticking fingers and hands in as well.

we have enough trouble with white spot and other stress induced illness where i work and that where the STAFF catch the fish....and the majority of its down to the children thinking they can practially bath in the open ponds on happly bang on the glass like a drum
:/

Flyaway_Firefly said:
and the majority of its down to the children thinking they can practially bath in the open ponds
Just for a couple of weeks.. take the usual fish out and replace them with electric eels. They'll soon learn to keep their fingers out of the damn ponds. ;)

Woah! I see you're in North Carolina, too. Please tell me where this place is so I can be sure to never ever go there! :blink:

The Pet Supplies Plus near me (Detroit suburb) does practice this as well. :( For this reason I don't give them my business even though they have a huge collection of fish supplies.

chkltcow you beat me to it, where in NC is this? I'm just kinda curious as I've never seen this before.

Most reactions

Back