See Though Fish...

Kiwi Clint

Reaction score
saw these amazing fish at the pet store today...but can't remember their bloody name!...they were quite long 1.5inches roughly, and very thin. They had completly see through bodies.
anyone know anything about them...like their name! or if they are communal fish , difficult to keep etc?

cheers

X-ray Tetra, Indian Glassfish, Glass Catfish maybe?

Glass catfish probably, they are schooling and don't do well in groups of under 10, so ideally you'd have 15-20.. they're not difficult, but can be picky eaters and really can't handle boisterous or aggressive fish. Also prefer dim lighting and should have lots of plants.

Glass catfish probably, they are schooling and don't do well in groups of under 10, so ideally you'd have 15-20.. they're not difficult, but can be picky eaters and really can't handle boisterous or aggressive fish. Also prefer dim lighting and should have lots of plants.
They are sensitive to poor water conditions too. And the common spicies of Glass Catfish gets quite big so a tank bigger than around 125L is needed.

hey thanks for the replies, very much appreciated
looked on google and Kat is correct they are glass cat fish...wow what very cool looking fish
cheers
Clint

I see some in a pet shop i visited that had dye in them :(

I haven't been back since.

I see some in a pet shop i visited that had dye in them :(

I haven't been back since.
Glass Catfish don't get dyed, its Indian Glassfish that get dyed.
OMG why the hell would they do that to something as amazing as a see through fish...man us humans are never satisfied!
Thats the thing, some of us like their uniqueness while some of us don't like it at all since you cant see them very well...so they get injected with ink, or worse, tatooed

Most reactions

Back