Securely Fixing Lr!

Reaction score
hi guys,

As the title says, is there any other way securely fixing 2 pieces of LR say end to end to create like a large overhang!

Obviously reef putty, glue gel won't be enough. Tie wraps might just do it but us there any way LR can be drilled, raw plugged and screw together. Obviously trying to find some sort of screw that won't corrode from the saltwater.

I've tons of ideas for some whacky scapes but until I find a way out this problem then I'll just have to make do like everyone else and just have a mound!

Any ideas?

One idea I was toying with was plastic conduit, bent to a certain shape with LR strapped to it by tie wraps through two little holes in the rock.

Acrylic rods from ebay!

Use an 11mm drill bit and insert a 10mm rod - that's how people make bommies etc :good:

Simon

Acrylic rods from ebay!

Use an 11mm drill bit and insert a 10mm rod - that's how people make bommies etc :good:

Simon

+1 :)

I was lucky to find a large bridging piece so just had to wedge mine between two rock piles.

Lol that was my third idea. Drill a 5 mm hole, insert a rod and glue the hell out of it.

Any idea how much these are or do you have a link. 11mm seems a bit too big IMO. Is this a standard size for the rods?

I could always source my own bits to do it but would rather use the acrylic.

Cheers

You can get different sizes, 10mm is the norm.

They come in meter lengths for around £2.50 or so on eBay. No link sorry as on my phone!

epo putty works really well for securing rock and once cured it is super hard. Only down side is due to drying time you need to stick it in a tank or bucket of salt water to allow it to dry. I'd reccomend 6-12 hours ideally. I know you said no reef putty but this dry's far harder than the average in my opinion and could be used for some mental gravity defying scapes.

Just a thought Woody, you spend so much time re-scaping and with your hands in the tank couldn't you just hold it? You know a big piece in each hand and then you can just move it about when your bored?

Just a thought Woody, you spend so much time re-scaping and with your hands in the tank couldn't you just hold it? You know a big piece in each hand and then you can just move it about when your bored?

What a bl00dy good idea mate!......................And so true!!! :look:

Or employ some one too :lol:

Noo lol My hands spend enough time in my tank :lol:

Most reactions

Back