Second Attempt

ok

filter wise, what are u using? sometimes ive seen posts where bettas have been sucked onto the inlet of the filter, and torn their fins on it, and died from the shock

How was he behaving?

what have u been feeding?

The filter is an elite stingray 15. He was behaving ok this morning, just swimming at the back of the tank. He had'nt eaten yet, but i tried him with hikari betta pellets and frozen daphnia.

Did you buy this one from the same place as the last one. If so it could be that they are coming to you ill already or older than you think. Maybe try getting one from somewhere else.

Lol.....Corleone beat me too it!!!

No, this one was from a different shop to the last.

Ok so anyway, i know theres no water quality issue, as the rest of the fish are fine and water tests confirm this.

Its not contaminants because again, rest of the fish are fine.

This betta did seem to have its fins messed up when i found it dead. So could it be the filter? If so what filter does everyone recommend, bearing in mind i have other fish and only carry out water changes once a week?

Hi
It has been known for fish to get stuck behind Stingray filters. Bettas are pretty nosey, so its possible. A few people do use stingrays and have used netting or something to stop fish getting behind.

You know, I've heard the same thing about stingray filters with small fish like neons and white clouds. Those are also nosy little guys. I've heard of them finding their way into canister filters and setting up shop in empty baskets.

As you haven't got many fishies in there, you could get away with a Fluval 2 internal. You may have to make something to break the flow up a bit though.
Here's a picture of what i did. Just some plastic and zip ties. The more holes you make, the more flow is allowed through.
2008_0213Hair0024.jpg

i find eheim powerball filters good. they are not the cheapest, but they have an adjustable and fully directional flow. (the powerhead is a ball that can turn pretty much any direction within the filer housing) or sponge filters are a good cheap option.

As you haven't got many fishies in there, you could get away with a Fluval 2 internal. You may have to make something to break the flow up a bit though.
Here's a picture of what i did. Just some plastic and zip ties. The more holes you make, the more flow is allowed through.
2008_0213Hair0024.jpg

I was thinking about a Fluval 1, because it only does 200lph. Its only meant for tanks up to 45 litres but i only have light stocking, so i was thinking it would be ok, what do you reckon?

i find eheim powerball filters good. they are not the cheapest, but they have an adjustable and fully directional flow. (the powerhead is a ball that can turn pretty much any direction within the filer housing) or sponge filters are a good cheap option.

Ive got 2 of these filters, love them but im pretty sure a betta would get stuck behind it.

Sponge filters arent an option because they dont provide mechanical filtration, meaning more water changes which im not prepared to do.

Anyone got any ideas on a good replacement filter?

I use a Fluval 1 Plus for my Betta splendens, I was recommended it over a Stingray and I must say it does a wonderful job, I highly recommend it.

Ive got 2 of these filters, love them but im pretty sure a betta would get stuck behind it.

Sponge filters arent an option because they dont provide mechanical filtration, meaning more water changes which im not prepared to do.
i have a powerball in one of my betta tanks, and find it no problem. they swim behind it, but seem to have loads of room (due to the design of the holder there is a pretty big gap behind it)
but i can understand you not wanting to take the risk after the problems you've had.

Well in the end i went for a fluval 2+ filter, not impressed so far. Pain in the ass to fit together (Suckers and holder mainly). The flow is way too high even on the lowest setting, and the venturi doesnt change a thing. Cost me a hell of a lot too. :unsure:

Going to have to run the 2 filters together for a while because i tried squeezing the filter pads of the stingray onto these pads but there wasnt much on them, so not convinced that will work.

Most reactions

Back