Seaweed For My Plecos

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aussie_Dog

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So at the store last week, I noticed packaged dried seaweed, and while I considered getting it, I passed on it, since I've never really thought about giving seaweed to my freshwater fish. Everyone talks about veggies like cucumber, zucchini, carrots, etc., so that's what I feed. But I'm getting more and more curious about the idea of feeding my plecos the seaweed, and figured I'd get some feedback on the pros and cons. I know freeze-dried food isn't the best, as the freeze-drying process kills some of the nutrients, and cooking kills even more (raw is best), but I'm not sure where seaweed fits in. Hmmm. And is there a difference between green seaweed and red seaweed, aside from the color? The store was selling both.

I have a Rubbernose Pleco, two Bristlenose Plecos (Sir Burton and Mrs Lovett, lol), an Otto, and a 2 month old Bristlenose Pleco, and now a new batch of BN babies. Then a score of Loaches with some Tetras, but I'm posting this topic on the behalf of the algae suckers, lol

Both red and green seaweeds are excellent foods for all herbivorous fish, and far easier to digest than (more cellulose-rich) terrestrial plants.

The use of seaweed to feed marine herbivores (such as tangs and angelfish) is now standard practise. The seaweed isn't freeze dried, but merely dried out the old fashioned way. Seaweed is rich in nutrients, but in particular iodine, which tends to be lacking from other foods. Iodine-deficiency is a real problem with freshwater crustaceans, leading to problems with moulting. Among marine fish, there's some evidence that Hole-in-the-Head and Head-and-Lateral-Line disease are related to vitamin deficiencies. But I'm not aware of any specific problems with freshwater fish.

Cheers, Neale

Most reactions

Back