Seahorses For Beginner?

OK, so have we completely convinced people who were considering getting seahorses out of it?

If not, here's another reason: They are not very active. I have often looked at my group, then gone back hours later, and some are still in the same spot! They don't rush to greet me like my other fish. They often act like they are doing my a favor by eating. My husband calls them the Paris Hiltons of the fish tanks....

Now, let me tell you why they are my favorite fish.

When seahorses are healthy and well fed, they have a special relationship with each other. Some say they don't, but in my experiences (years) they always have. The pairs will greet each other in the morning, even if the female does not have eggs, and even if the male does. They shimmy up next to each other, flashing their colors and wrapping their tails around each other. They swim together and seem to be greeting each other. If the male is not already pregnant, they do a fascinating egg exchange. They swim up into the water column, and wrap their tails around each other. They spin in the water column and the female places the eggs in the males pouch.

Then, they both light a cigarette and go to sleep....

I have seen it happen so many times and I still make sure I am watching them in the mornings on my days off. I have even called in sick to to watch when I know a male has an empty pouch!

I think the relationship between these fish is much more intense than any other fish I've ever had. I do think it is cool to watch my clownfish tend their eggs, or to see a shrimp or coral spawn, but the ritual that my seahorses do is more captivating than any other I have seen. These are the only fish I have ever had that seem to genuinely care about each other.

FlamingHot, I do not want to be rude, either. I also feel very passionate about all fish and I feel we should provide them the best environment we can. I feel many of the issues that you have provided to convince people to not have seahorses are very different than my experiences. If we can assist people to provide the best possible system for any fish, seahorses will thrive just like clownfishes or tangs or angels.

DemonMagnus, I think you can have seahorse if you want them. Set the tank up planning for them. Start with the shrimps, the janitors, the macroalgae and plants. When the tank is growing strong, get the fish!

Got to agree with SeahorseWhisperer here.

SH's are actually pretty easy to keep especially the tank raised one's. Well living in North America here we are not allowed to import WC SH's anymore. I work at a Marine warehouse and i never really see a dead SH in the 100+ SH tank. Trust me the number one deaths in our warehouse is believe it or not all the clownfishes next is the damsels, then cleaner wrasse, then fox faces, then butterflies, then tangs, etc......

Most reactions

Back