Seachem Replenish vs Equilibrium - raising GH in planted axolotl tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Most here know I do not use additives unless absolutely essential, so I tend to look at ingredients more and decide accordingly. My first issue is the sodium chloride (common salt) in Replenish; this has no value to plants, nor fish unless they are brackish (this gets answered by the source habitat which another member has detailed). So I can understand Seachem's saying that Replenish is not plant-oriented.

Equilibrium has more plant-needed ingredients, in my view anyway. [It used to have zinc I thought, but that does not matter.] Obviously Equilibrium is thus better for plants.

Another thing that strikes me, and @StevenF may be able to offer more on this, is that Equilibrium is derived from sulfates, whereas Replenish is derived from Chlorides. I may be mixing things up, but I believe Steven has discussed this in other threads, that sulfates are more readily taken up, or something? If this is somewhat true, it again points out the plant benefit of Equilibrium, which is what Seachem says.

To the issue of GH/pH for the axolotl. I would not change the GH with anything; the axolotl seems OK, and the plants certainly are with a GH of 4 dH. As for pH, plants don't care. Axolotl probably doesn't care either, if your pH is 7.5 as you mention above. So in my view, I would add nothing.

Most here know I do not use additives unless absolutely essential, so I tend to look at ingredients more and decide accordingly. My first issue is the sodium chloride (common salt) in Replenish; this has no value to plants, nor fish unless they are brackish (this gets answered by the source habitat which another member has detailed). So I can understand Seachem's saying that Replenish is not plant-oriented.

Equilibrium has more plant-needed ingredients, in my view anyway. [It used to have zinc I thought, but that does not matter.] Obviously Equilibrium is thus better for plants.

Another thing that strikes me, and @StevenF may be able to offer more on this, is that Equilibrium is derived from sulfates, whereas Replenish is derived from Chlorides. I may be mixing things up, but I believe Steven has discussed this in other threads, that sulfates are more readily taken up, or something? If this is somewhat true, it again points out the plant benefit of Equilibrium, which is what Seachem says.
That is very interesting and makes a lot of sense! Is there any reason the Equilibrium would NOT be good for my axolotls?
To the issue of GH/pH for the axolotl. I would not change the GH with anything; the axolotl seems OK, and the plants certainly are with a GH of 4 dH. As for pH, plants don't care. Axolotl probably doesn't care either, if your pH is 7.5 as you mention above. So in my view, I would add nothing.
He is of course ok at this GH, but would he be more comfortable at a higher one? All other sources I have looked into suggest a higher GH is better for them. I have heard many sources say that low GH causes their gill colors to fade and that higher GH is ideal. I don’t mind spending the $20 and the additional time at water changes if it means my axolotls will be more comfortable. I don’t want to subject them to living conditions that aren’t as close to their natural habitat as I make them.

Is there any reason the Equilibrium would NOT be good for my axolotls?

Well, in so far as it is best not to subject fish to this stuff, it may be the same. I've no knowledge of axolotl physiology in order to be able to give a better answer here.

On the GH issue, go with what authorities on axoltols recommend. I don't know who these individuals may be, but obviously they would have a better understanding of the physiology.

However, if you do decide to raise GH, in my view neither Seachem product is wise to use. In my previous post I mentioned my concerns with ingredients. If I were to increase GH/KH/pH for fish, I would look into a calcareous sand substrate or if I wanted more control over the numbers I would consider the mineral salts for rift lake cichlids.

However, if you do decide to raise GH, in my view neither Seachem product is wise to use. In my previous post I mentioned my concerns with ingredients. If I were to increase GH/KH/pH for fish, I would look into a calcareous sand substrate or if I wanted more control over the numbers I would consider the mineral salts for rift lake cichlids.
This?

AF9D618D-5D27-425C-9B14-BA19BEB22A90.png

91411484-E94C-4C87-B791-6B0DD827947C.jpeg

Replenish
307B843A-126C-491D-AF64-0F15261049E3.jpeg

Equilibrium
29ED8F7B-9296-40C5-8339-A5202E4CB1A4.jpeg

Lake Cichlid Salts

95D68D1F-2FB5-4A6B-8A0E-9834FFBA3DDB.png

it looks like a lot of the ingredients are the same, like a mix of the two plus a couple extras.

To be honest, I would not use that stuff (rift lake cichlid salts) either. :unsure: I would go with a calcareous substrate. The only issue here is that the minerals will dissolve, raising the GH/KH/pH, but you don't know how high these may go. At least, I have no idea. When I had my tank of mollies, and rift lake cichlids, in the 1980's I used a substrate of dolomite. Never measured GH/KH back then, but the pH was good for these fish and that was all I cared about.

To be honest, I would not use that stuff (rift lake cichlid salts) either. :unsure: I would go with a calcareous substrate. The only issue here is that the minerals will dissolve, raising the GH/KH/pH, but you don't know how high these may go. At least, I have no idea. When I had my tank of mollies, and rift lake cichlids, in the 1980's I used a substrate of dolomite. Never measured GH/KH back then, but the pH was good for these fish and that was all I cared about.
Doesn't this raise the Gh slowly though, causing a huge change in GH at water changes?

Doesn't this raise the Gh slowly though, causing a huge change in GH at water changes?

I've never measured it. I don't do this now because I only have very soft water fish and my zero GH/KH tap water is OK. If I were to go down this road, I would probably measure the GH and pH over weeks and see just what occurred.

I do know that in the 1990's when I used a small amount of dolomite in the filter of my 115g tank to maintain a pH of 6.4 to 6.6 (tap water then was pH 5 or lower), it was consistent and over the several years I had no issues. I would go slowly though. Preparing water for each water change is additional work that may be necessary, depending upon the initial parameters, biological system, etc.

What was concerning with the ingredients in the Equilibrium?

What was concerning with the ingredients in the Equilibrium?

It was a question of dumping unnecessary additives that do impact fish. As i have explained somewhere, I got around this by using Flourish Tabs which have no impacty on fish but still provide the calcium and magnesium.

It was a question of dumping unnecessary additives that do impact fish. As i have explained somewhere, I got around this by using Flourish Tabs which have no impacty on fish but still provide the calcium and magnesium.
As far as I understand it, Equilibrium is a plant safe way to raise GH? Axolotls do better in higher GH than I have. If I have a sufficient way to safely have a higher GH, I am going to do it for the comfort of my axolotl and do see it as necessary. I am trying to determine if any of the ingredients in the Equilibrium are harmful to fish? You pointed out that the Replenish had salt, so was better to stay away from if the tank wasn't brackish. Is there anything wrong with the Equilibrium, except the fact that you are putting additives in the tank?

If you want to raise the GH, use calcium chloride and magnesium chloride.
Make the new water up 24 hours before using it so the mineral salts can dissolve completely.

Once you start using mineral salts to raise the GH, you will have to use it every water change.

We never added mineral salts to our axo tanks and our tap water had virtually no GH or KH.

Last edited:
If you want to raise the GH, use calcium chloride and magnesium chloride.
Make the new water up 24 hours before using it so the mineral salts can dissolve completely.

Once you start using mineral salts to raise the GH, you will have to use it every water change.

We never added mineral salts to our axo tanks and out tap water had virtually no GH or KH.
how much of each do I use to bring the GH up 4 degrees?

I am having a hard time understanding. Everything seems to suggest they do better with a higher GH?

Most reactions

Back