Seachem Prime

AJ356

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
A while back I switched from Seachem Prime to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004LO9KSY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 I'm trying to remember why. I think I had read something about Prime being an issue in planted tanks because of it's "all singing, all dancing" ingredients claiming to detoxify ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. I can't give an argument against Prime, because I can't remember the argument (or if there even is one).

Anyone know anything as to why I stopped using Prime? :D I'm happy with what I got, just curious.

The reason I stopped using Seachem Prime was the cost, It was insane for what I got quantity-wise. A 500ml from my LFS was £21 so I switched to Fluval and I got a 2L bottle for £26. As long as it does the Job I'm happy

The reason I stopped using Seachem Prime was the cost, It was insane for what I got quantity-wise. A 500ml from my LFS was £21 so I switched to Fluval and I got a 2L bottle for £26. As long as it does the Job I'm happy
Thanks for reply. That's interesting, as Prime is normally the most cost effective one of the lot as it's super concentrated, but not sure what Prime you had. Fluval is normally good quality for most of what they do in my experience.

There was a thread here a while ago discussing the ammonia detoxifying claims. There was discussion of how it doesn’t follow through with its claims, but the reference was an incomplete scientific experiment conducted by a hobbyist (albeit a generally respected one) and posted online. The thing to remember is that Seachem never claims that Prime REMOVES ammonia. It only claims to detoxify it, which it does by binding ammonium with other suspended ions. This is a temporary effect that lasts about 24 hours. The ammonia is still detectable by test kits because it’s not actually removed from the water, but people use these test kit results to “prove” that Prime doesn’t work. Not shilling for Prime, just saying that it does do what it claims.

The one actual issue is that it can’t be used at the same time as Ich-X, I believe due to ingredient interactions between Prime’s sulfur compounds and one of Ich-X’s ingredients

There was a thread here a while ago discussing the ammonia detoxifying claims. There was discussion of how it doesn’t follow through with its claims, but the reference was an incomplete scientific experiment conducted by a hobbyist (albeit a generally respected one) and posted online. The thing to remember is that Seachem never claims that Prime REMOVES ammonia. It only claims to detoxify it, which it does by binding ammonium with other suspended ions. This is a temporary effect that lasts about 24 hours. The ammonia is still detectable by test kits because it’s not actually removed from the water, but people use these test kit results to “prove” that Prime doesn’t work. Not shilling for Prime, just saying that it does do what it claims.

The one actual issue is that it can’t be used at the same time as Ich-X, I believe due to ingredient interactions between Prime’s sulfur compounds and one of Ich-X’s ingredients
Yes thanks, am aware there is a difference between removal and detoxify, but it's a good point as some people don't know, and misinterpret the "claims" of Seachem. I just did a search on here and found this https://www.fishforums.net/threads/seachem-prime-may-not-be-what-is-claims.485827/

The API is a better product, end of story. The compounds in Prime are not needed, and my view is simply if you don't need it, better left out. My lack of experience with disease is, as another member once mentioned, probably why I don't have these things. Water is all fish need.

I still use the same 2l nutrafin Aqua-Plus Jug I bought in 1990 and there's half of it left. It still cuts the chlorine odour instantly.

The product look like new. I think it hasn't lost any of it's property.

I paid 8$ at the time, at the moment This same jug is 90$

Lolll.

Wow! Didnt realise how expensive prime was😲

Since 2012, by far the Seachem Prime has been the best for my case. If in the USA this is expensive, here in Brazil is even worse, since it pays several tariffs and taxes (being imported) and our domestic currency doesn't help, also. The product has a good performance, a thing that I still didn't see in the Brazilian market (which's so restricted, by the way).

Recently, however, I used an extremely cheap Brazilian brand de-chlorinator for my term paper involving brine shrimp culturing and it performed well. The performance is also good since it is one drop per liter of water (with Prime is one drop per two liters of water).

Both API Ammo Lock and Seachem Prime say about the same thing. Seachem Prime claims they are more concentrated compared to competitor products but the instructions say to use 5 ml to 50 gallons while API Ammo Lock says to use 5 ml to 10 gallons.

• API Ammo Lock: API AMMO LOCK product detoxifies ammonia, converting it into a non-toxic form. This non-toxic ammonia is then removed by the biological filter, or aquarium cycle, in the usual way.
  • Seachem Prime: Prime® may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. It contains a binder which renders ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate non-toxic, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them.

I've been using API Ammo Lock during water changes (it's a dechlorinator too) for a couple months now and it seems to help since I do have some ammonia present in my tap water.
Both API Ammo Lock and Seachem Prime are around the same price.

Most reactions

Back