Scum On Sirface From Sand?

thomas10051988

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ive just added aragonite sand to my tank and there is a white bubble type scum covering the surface is this supposed to happen if not what can i do to fix it

also what depth should i have it a mini reef

thanx

what has the tank got in it? i guess you could just aggitate it hope it rises to the surface, see what you skimmer coughs up, you could syphon a load of it out and clean it if you were ambitious.

its just dust, nothing to worry about... (larger particles could pottentially jam impellers), but it can get pretty ugly when you cant even see into your tank......

This shouldn't be a problem at all. What you're seeing is a combination of dust and proteins collecting at the surface. Easy way to remove it is with a paper towl. Just rest it on the water surface, it'll mop up the nasty stuff, remove, and discard.

However, your tank should have enough surface agitation where this combination of dust and protein should not be allowed to settle there...

it has a small 350lph power head i was told this would be just enougth till i get corals

to answer the second question, unless you're keeping something which specifically requires a specific depth of sand, you're best with an inch or less in a nano reef really

Most reactions

Back