Scooter Blennies And Their Diet

adeq

Reaction score
I have 2 scooter blennies but don't know if they are eating.
They seem to spit in and out the coral sand I have.
Tried frozen myclid but as the cube melts it floats the meal around so don't know if it settles on the ground for them
Any suggestions ?

they are part of the dragonet family. Same as a mandarin. Which means majority of their diet will always be made up of live pods off the rock work. So unless you have a mature, stable tank with enough live rock to support two of these guys unfortunatley you will struggle. You wont see them eat frozen food at all...its very very rare you get one that does. I would start a pod culture now. If their bellys seem to go inwards its usually too late.
What size tank do you have? how old is it? and how much LR?

they are part of the dragonet family. Same as a mandarin. Which means majority of their diet will always be made up of live pods off the rock work. So unless you have a mature, stable tank with enough live rock to support two of these guys unfortunatley you will struggle. You wont see them eat frozen food at all...its very very rare you get one that does. I would start a pod culture now. If their bellys seem to go inwards its usually too late.
What size tank do you have? how old is it? and how much LR?
They seem healthy enough
170l tank
25kg of LR
3 months old

how long have they been in there? i would say thats not enough to support two of them. One at a big push maybe. Get a pod culture going ASAP. They can live happily for a few weeks til they have eaten all the live pods and then slowly starve to death.

how long have they been in there? i would say thats not enough to support two of them. One at a big push maybe. Get a pod culture going ASAP. They can live happily for a few weeks til they have eaten all the live pods and then slowly starve to death.
2 weeks.
do you have recc on how to start a pod culture, as probably can't ask the supplier who sold me these as it seems he knows nothing as he told me to feed them on flakes.

i think reefworsk ship to wales. You need a sandwich box filled with fresh salt water at 1.025. And air pump reglated so it give one or two slow bubbles per second and some live phyto to feed the pods on. Then you can buy some pods from reefworks. If you add half to the tank after lights out and half to the culture. Then give it a week or two and they breed like crazy.

Or they sell a pod start up kit on there with everything you need.

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/cares...?caresheetID=51

i think reefworsk ship to wales. You need a sandwich box filled with fresh salt water at 1.025. And air pump reglated so it give one or two slow bubbles per second and some live phyto to feed the pods on. Then you can buy some pods from reefworks. If you add half to the tank after lights out and half to the culture. Then give it a week or two and they breed like crazy.

Or they sell a pod start up kit on there with everything you need.

[URL="http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/cares...?caresheetID=51"]http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/cares...?caresheetID=51[/URL]
I will have a look.
thanks

Yeah I tried keeping one of these guys in a similar sized tank with the same amount of LR. That one would eat frozen but I still couldnt keep it well fed long term. Ended up giving it to someone with a much larger reef tank that had a ton of LR in.

Personally I would say rehome them to be honest. Yes you can culture pods but it will be a constant thing you have to maintain all the time and most people will get bored of it real quick.

I had a scotter blennie and really struggled to keep it alive, I didnt have alot of LR in the tank, so perhaps thats why. However i then bought a snowflake Blenny, what a character. It eats frozen food as much as any of the other fish in my tank. Ive had him a good 12 months now and he is one of the strongest fish in the tank. :rolleyes:

I had a scotter blennie and really struggled to keep it alive, I didnt have alot of LR in the tank, so perhaps thats why. However i then bought a snowflake Blenny, what a character. It eats frozen food as much as any of the other fish in my tank. Ive had him a good 12 months now and he is one of the strongest fish in the tank. :rolleyes:

completely different fish though. they all happily take frozen and prepared foods where as dragonets will not

Most reactions

Back