Schooling fish options...

Well, obviously yes. What I mean is, is that the betta can live in a small tank (minimum 5-10 gallons). Avel, I will directly tell you this. I think you tend to think that when someone says something, they mean EXACTLY what they say. So when I say that a betta is the easiest to care for in fish keeping I DO NOT mean you don't need a filter or a heater or that you can house them in a bowl.
I said that particularly as a reminder for those who could seek information before buying a Betta, even if I am under no illusion :/

Well, obviously yes. What I mean is, is that the betta can live in a small tank (minimum 5-10 gallons).
Unfortunately, there isn't an 'obviously yes'...A Betta can survive, NOT thrive, in a small 5-10 gallon tank. There is a huge difference and, unfortunately, too many cannot perceive this. :(
I think you tend to think that when someone says something, they mean EXACTLY what they say.
So why not say EXACTLY what you do mean? ;)
There are many who visit this Forum who read what is written and believe it, 100%. Many cannot differentiate between the subtleties of language and all those verbal and non-verbal cues that would be picked up in The Real are missing in the typed word. ;)
So when I say that a betta is the easiest to care for in fish keeping...
I'd suggest that there are other fish that are far easier to keep.
Remember that people looking for an 'easy' fish to keep have in mind a vision of a tank with more than one fish in it. Whilst it is true that a Betta can live with other fish, in certain and careful circumstance, a Betta is NOT the ideal fish in a generalised community tank. I'd suggest a guppy is an easier bet.

All that said, I do believe that as responsible fishkeepers, we should try and lose the 'easiest'...whilst we want to encourage people to join the hobby and enjoy it, I think we do the fish themselves a disservice by calling some 'easy'.
Even the simplest and most basic fishkeeping requires some serious commitment, work, research and effort. I'd even suggest that a cat or dog is easier to care for. :D

Most reactions

Back