Scales sticking out but acting normally?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

around 6.8
Cool, so I think it may still be an age thing and the fish is just falling apart. I am very slow at saying that this is one disease or another, as miss diagnosis and the path of medication can often be fatal. Not only to the infected fish but also it's tank mates.

I'm going to retest the water just to make sure.
What should I do in this case? Epsom salt bath? Just let her do her own thing? Should I fast her?

Idk if this helps but she's "resting" at the bottom of the tank but when I put my finger up to the tank she'll go to it like normal.

Also if I'm moving her to another container for the salt bath, should I go out and buy a net?

Oh yes it is imperative you do not treat the entire tank. The sick fish needs to be moved to a hospital tank if you wish to attempt treatment.

That "resting" is called bottom sitting and is the beginnings of illness in fish. It makes sense in her condition.

ammonia - 0
nitrate - 0-20
nitrite - 0
hardness - 75
chlorine - 0
kH - 0-40
pH - 6.8-7.2

I think these are all measured by ppm (?)

I'm going to retest the water just to make sure.
What should I do in this case? Epsom salt bath? Just let her do her own thing? Should I fast her?

Also if I'm moving her to another container for the salt bath, should I go out and buy a net?
Regardless, every fishkeeper should have at least one net, preferably white ones, (all the better to see small things in them).

I'm just going to start with a water change, does that sound okay? Is 25% good or should I change out more?
Ugh, I don't know what to do. :/

Thanks for all the help everybody.

Any fish net recommendations for my betta? (preferably on Amazon)

Should I feed her tonight?

Friday - didn't feed
Saturday - didn't feed
Sunday - gave food
Monday - didn't feed

(past 4 days)

Without sounding cruel, your betta is on her way out my dear ...its usually too late to help by the time a fish gets dropsy, its in organ failure ☹ no one can tell you what to do but please have a think about euthanasia, it's probably the kindest thing you can do for her now 💔

is this okay to use?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2J8FNZ/?tag=ff0d01-20
I've been trying Epsom salt baths for 10 minutes a day for a week... the pineconing is getting worse and I don't think I can cure her.
There's a huge difference between a 10-minute bath and having the salt actually in the tank water, 24/7.
Dropsy is a symptom and the cause, (bacteria and internal organ failure) is usually fatal.

Most reactions

Back